• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lock Right Questions

holeshot

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a used lock right in my 27 spline 8.25. I was told the springs were new but I am having second thoughts on that. Everything seemed fine initially. Now however there is lots of poping going on. Sometimes I will be driving straight and it will lock 2-3 three times in a row. Each time making a loud bang noise. I followed the installintructions to a T except for measuring the gap in the plates for shim thickness. I just reinstalled the orriginal shims. I used a 75-140 syntehtic and my tire pressures are set with a digital gauge. Where should I go from here????

that is good video but what am I supposed to learn from it? I understand it is supposed to ratchet on turns. I am getting banging while driving straight.

Are your rear tires the same diameter...take a peice of string and wrap it around the center of each tire and measure it...if its more than a 3/8" difference( i think thats lock-right specs) thats most likely your problem. Make sure your tire pressure is even on each side too.

I had this problem with a lockright in my front D44 almost to the T... new springs didn't fix it, tightening up the tolerances with shims until I had to beat the center pin in with a hammer through the side gears didn't help it, and running synthetic lube didn't help either. I even tried stiffer/longer springs that I found at the local hardware store... all that did was make the issue more violent when it happened.

Mine actually pretty much quit working when it started this behavior too... the side gears would not stay locked with the center piece.

I finally gave up, sold the lockright and carrier and installed a detroit. My suspicion is that the lockright I was sold was not as new as it seemed and was just "worn out" so to say. Since yours was used I suspect maybe the same thing? If you have a chance to take it out, look at the pieces carefully and see if the edges on the side gears and the center lock piece are still square or if they're rounded off/worn down.

Sorry for not having any firm solution, but I understand the behavior and it is NOT normal lockright behavior... like so many others told me, and so many will probably tell you.

Last edited:
Jeffro600 said:
Are your rear tires the same diameter...take a peice of string and wrap it around the center of each tire and measure it...if its more than a 3/8" difference( i think thats lock-right specs) thats most likely your problem. Make sure your tire pressure is even on each side too.

Notice:

This advice is from someone who runs a Lincoln Locker.

:D

go back and do it right, or sell it and get a no slip if you want a quiet lunch box locker. lock rights are loud.

Ramsey said:
go back and do it right, or sell it and get a no slip if you want a quiet lunch box locker. lock rights are loud.

Not trying to be an ass, but this is the kind of replies I got when I had problems with my lockright. Everyone told me left and right that they're noisy. I knew that, I've driven rigs with lockrights before on many occasions in both the front and rear axle. The behavior that he's describing is not normal lockright behavior, and is the exact same thing I experienced with mine.

Goatman said:
Notice:

This advice is from someone who runs a Lincoln Locker.

:D

Yeah, and a lock-right in the front that suffered from the same problem. Turning out to be the exact problem i described...tires slightly different size. :rolleyes:

NotMatt said:
Not trying to be an ass, but this is the kind of replies I got when I had problems with my lockright. Everyone told me left and right that they're noisy. I knew that, I've driven rigs with lockrights before on many occasions in both the front and rear axle. The behavior that he's describing is not normal lockright behavior, and is the exact same thing I experienced with mine.
which is why he should go back in and make sure it is installed correctly, as i stated

holeshot said:
I installed a used lock right in my 27 spline 8.25. I was told the springs were new but I am having second thoughts on that. Everything seemed fine initially. Now however there is lots of poping going on. Sometimes I will be driving straight and it will lock 2-3 three times in a row. Each time making a loud bang noise. I followed the installintructions to a T except for measuring the gap in the plates for shim thickness. I just reinstalled the orriginal shims. I used a 75-140 syntehtic and my tire pressures are set with a digital gauge. Where should I go from here????
Your saying you put the shims back in, in some applications your not suppose to put the shims back in, might be worth a check.

I will go back and check the directions but seeing as I followed them to a T (all except the shim measurement) I doubt that is the problem (I have been wrong before) This is not a normal condition!!! I expect this thing to be noisey and skidish at times but not banging like it is. I will contact tech support today.

Jeffro600 said:
3/8" is a lot. The goodyear MTR's are only 6k miles old and have already rotated them 3 times. They should be good.

Well I just found out that the best answers about these come from the professionals at Powetrax. Guy was very knowlageable (sp?) Anyways, First I need to get the cover off and take some measurments. The crucial measurment is between the drivers and the spec is 156 thousanths. If that isnt correct, I could have a housing that isnt machined perfectly and that wouldn't surprise me. When asked about the sprnigs, he said that they are mainly there to hold everything together and to prevent the spacers from slamming into the cross shaft. Also if the locker was previously installed in a housing that was not machined correct the teeth can be worn. They will develop a ramp on the outer edge. The ramp will prevent it from staying engaged. The problem i am experiencing seems to be from the locker dissengaing on one side. When going straight it should be locked. The bang I am hearing is most likely the teeth skipping. It looks like I have some work to do now. I will update with my results.

Guess, I was lucky. I installed a used LR in my S-10 10bolt, it worked perfect, though once in a blue moon Id get a thunk. Those that complain that LRs are too loud, must have never owned one, cause over road noise, you still cant hear it. I could only hear mine klick in a parking garage, otherwise you cant hear it inside the vehicle.

I have a LR in the rear and I can only hear it when I'm taking sharper corners at slower speeds. Otherwise it will just lock up and make my tire chirp a bit. Even when it does make it's clicking noise it isn't very loud at all.

Back