• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydraulic Lifters

madcrazy_lp

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody know if i have to pull my heads to get my hydraulic lifters out? or can i just pull them from the top of the gasket?, by taking off the rocker arms and whatnot? I have a 92 XJ 4.0 HO?

On my 89 4.0 it is necessary to pull the head to get to the lifters(stupid design i.m.o) I would imagine yours would be the same.

It's weird that you can pull the lifters out of the 2.5 without pulling the head though,it's basically the same engine as it's big brother....

Unfortunately you do have to pull the head.
Just make sure you have a good magnetic pickup tool and it will be cake to pull them out.
HTH

Pull the head. That's a "design deficiency" that's been addressed with the aftermarket head, and the 4.0 is one of a very few I6's that do NOT have a pushrod cover for access without removing the head.

Why are you changing the lifters? Just curious...

5-90

New lifters on an old cam = problems.

Well, I'm not so sure about that...

I've put new lifters on an old cam - as long as you are generous with the assembly lube, and take your time to "run" them in before you get silly, I've put a couple hundred thousand more miles on an engine with a lifter replacement.

New cam + old lifters = wrecked cam, in about an hour. Doesn't matter what else you do to it, you're wrecking a camshaft.

I replaced the lifters on my wife's 89 Limited several years ago (they were clogged up - the engine had arteriosclerosis from the previous owner's use of Pennzoil...) and haven't had any trouble with them since.

Although, before I changed the lifters, I'd take an hour or so to check that all the rocker arm pivot bolts are set to torque, and I'd probably apply LocTite #242 to make sure they stay that way (OK, I'm cranky.) The first couple times I thought I'd be doing lifters, it turned out that checking the rocker bolts was enough to solve the problem (damme if changing lifters on the 242 isn't the J-O-B...)

If you really want to see what's going on, take the valve cover off, get a 3/4" socket and ratchet to fit, and check for freeplay in the pushrods on the closed valves (you should not be able to turn the pushrod with your fingertips.) Turn the engine 180*, and check out the next closed valves. I don't recall the sequence, but you'll end up turning the engine twice...

5-90

as already mentioned, it is a pita. I just pulled the head on mine a couple nights ago to remove my lifters. took me almost 4 hours. you also need a lifter tool to take them out and replace them. I still gotta go round the tool up.

Back