• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

squeak

BCParker

NAXJA Forum User
97, 4.0, aw4, 8.25, d30, stock

had the bearings in the front diff replaced about a month ago along with the drivers side u-joint.

for the last few days, when cold (~5 F) I get a rythmic squeaking from somewhere in the front, possibly the drivers side, at any speed above 30MPH

The squeak goes away after about 15 minutes of driving.

the noise is an intermitent squeaking, increases in speed with vehicle speed, but not engine speed. sounds to my ears like it has to be coming from something rotating.

could it be that U-joint that was recently replaced?- what else could squeak up front?

sorry for the poor description of the sound, if you could hear it, you would know what I'm talking about.

thanks

_B

BC,

Did you ever figure this out? I didn't have any front end work done and have similar symptoms (rythmic squeak when cold, above 15 mph, only lasts 5-7 minutes, sounds like right front). Just searching now for possibilities. Mine's a 2000 with 85k.

mark

could be u-joints. i know my front right axle u-joint is screaming, but i already have 2 jeeps i'm working on right now. i just hope it can make it another couple weeks. it should have been replaced a long time ago.

I have the same "squeak" on my 99 XJ. It started when I went to the Ski Lodge a couple of weeks ago. The lodge is on 10+ miles of gravel/ice/salt/snow covered roads. I though it was salt bulid up on the u-joints. I pulled the shafts off greased and inspected them and changed the t-case fluid (just in case). The sound went away until I went down some more gravel/ice/salt/snow covered roads. I am thinking it is the salt getting in there. I am going to do some more investigating later today and will post what I find.

No, I never did solve this.

I haven't heard the noise in a long time- but it's been warmer here lately.

I can only guess at what it was- here they are.

1. salt/sand/gravel/other stuck where it didn't belong, washed out eventually.

2. U-joint or other rotating part was slightly off after the diff rebuild and after time quieted down.

3. when it's 5 degrees out, a Jeep is gonna squeak, it'll come back when it gets colder than it's been lately.

-

Good luck on your own problems, I'll update if anything ever comes out of this.

-B

Back