• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i have a leaky injector

funvtec

NAXJA Forum User
i just noticed it while i was changing my lenses that were smashed i had the key in the on position and started smelling HELLA gas. I didn't think much of it thinking well the Jeeps not running so it just made itself rich. So I fired her up and popped the hood to check all my fluids since the flopover drained my trans fluid a bit i wanted to double check it to see it was still at a good level. I noticed some smoke coming from my 3rd injector back right around where it goes into the head so i imediatally shut her down and i could hear the dreadful sound of raw fuel dripping onto my now luke warm exhaust manifold, man am i glad i cought this one! Any ways what steps are needed to depressurize the system so i can take it apart and se if its an o-ring or if the injector itself is bad

i did search but didn't come up with any how to's or basic steps as to what i need to do, it looks pretty straight forward but who knows mabye you guys have some tips.

no wonder my gas mileage was going WAY downhill i wasn't imagining it

pull the gas cap. Then u can pull the fuel lines off of the fuel rail with a rag over it so u won't get splashed with gas.

A couple questions:

What year is your XJ?

What is HELLA gas?

I would guess any and all I-6 would be the same. This is what I did on my 1990.

As mentioned you should take the fuel cap off first. You can then release the pressure in the fuel rail by depressing the Schrader valve and shooting the fuel into a rag.

Then you can remove the fuel rail by unhooking the harness and the clamp from each of the injectors. The fuel rail should pull of with minimial work. There is a chance you may need to unhook the fuel pressure regulator to get the fuel rail off.

Then you can pull the leaky injector for inspection. The install is simply the same steps in reverse.

I replaced all 6 in maybe an hour to an hour and a quarter start to finish, and I had never done injectors before.

Good luck, and good for you for catching the problem before it went south!

haha HELLA gas is a whole lotsa fuel! LOL

and its a 90 I6 ( i always forget that part )

thanks seems simple enough

i thing i'm just curious on is why remove the gas cap?

funvtec said:
haha HELLA gas is a whole lotsa fuel! LOL

and its a 90 I6 ( i always forget that part )

thanks seems simple enough

i thing i'm just curious on is why remove the gas cap?
There could be a pound or two of pressure in the tank.
The 90 should be a two piece injector and they are know to spring a leak in the body. If that the case, replace the injector.
You will want to replace all the o-rings once you remove the rail.

Last edited:
I just did this last week with my 90. Turn the ignition key to the On position and look at your suspect injector. If the fuel isn't coming out of where the injector and fuel rail meet but rather from the middle or seam on the piece injector then you'll need a new injector. I suggest you do all six once you tear it down. I had another start leaking within weeks of the first one that started leaking. Look to http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/xjtech/engine/oring.html for a pretty good description on how to do this.

Note that when you try to disconnect the fuel connection on the front of the rail, remove the bolt that is holding down a clamp on the fuel line and a housing of vaccum lines right above the power steering so the fuel line will be loose to move .

Good luck

My 89 4L 200Kmi had a couple of leaky injectors last fall. The parts man at the dealership said to try replacing the ancient orings first before spending money on new injectors. The leaks stopped.

Pre 91s are prone to injectors leaking at the metal and plastic seam. Once one goes the others soon follow per my experience and per the advice of a jeep tech I have know for many yrs. Many an early xj w. these injectors has gone up in flames. Replace all of them w. new ones from aftermarket not the oem ones which will leak again in a few yrs. The new ones will have new orings also. Many get fordmotorsport 19lb rated injector which has a better spray pattern they are just a little richer than oem pre 91 which are 18.6 lb IIRC. Also it is possible to change the injectors w/o disconnecting the fuel rail fromt the fuel lines. I did it you just loosen things up and pull the rail w. injectors out at one end first install new injectors and then shift and do the other end. Greg

I started my 90 Renix 4.0L Limited XJ this morning and the idle was terrible. I started to smell gas and thought shit.

Well upon further inspection I noticed my first 2 injectors are leaking this morning. Right where the metal body and the plastic top meet.

Side note this is now this is the second recent failure I have seen (not on this XJ) where the fuel injectors leak after an overnight temperature drop below freezing.

This is my daily driver and is fairly stock. On weekends I explore logging roads. I would prefer fuel economy to more power.

I plan to replace the injectors myself. However I have questions after searching.

1. Should I be replacing the stock injectors with the Ford 19LB ones?
2. Why are the 4 ports superior?
3. What are the benefits of these Ford injectors?
4. Which would be better for improved fuel economy?
5. What about mean green 20lb injectors?

FRAM -

1) Certainly. They'll also be cheaper than OEMR replacements, even in the aftermarket.

2) The "4-port" injectors have smaller nozzles, and the lighter fuel streams promote atomisation of the fuel

3) See (1) and (2)

4) While I don't have any empirical data, I'd think the 4-port injectors are better for fuel economy as well - more finely dividual fuel burns better, and the ECU will correct for that when it's reading the mix.

5) Dunno. I didn't know MG even handled injectors. However, if they're like the rest of their stuff, they will cost too damn much...

For those of you with RENIX (1987-1990) XJ's and MJ's - if you've got one injector leaking, change them all! RENIX injectors are well-known for leaking at the body crimp, and if one is going, the rest are not far behind. We've had people here (and some I've known personally and locally, as well) lose vehicles due to fuel fires. They were RENIX, and the cause was invariably a leaking fuel injector! Forewarned is forearmed...

5-90

5-90 said:
FRAM -

1) Certainly. They'll also be cheaper than OEMR replacements, even in the aftermarket.

I plan to replace them all. Thanks for the quick response. I called my local parts store. They want $86 Cdn bucks each for a reman XJ injector.

My next question is which Ford 19lb should I get? I have read Bosch?

What about these: http://tunertoys.zoovy.com/product/CIXJ8790

RE: the mean green ones: http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsJEEP.asp (Halfway down the page)

Now you guys have me concerned :(. My '89 has stock injectors that are not yet leaking (that I know of, no fuel smells yet) and I recently bought a fuel injector o-ring kit to install Sunday, more as preventative maintenance than anything. While I have the injectors out, is there anything specific I can look for to see if they are going to fail soon? (Where the metal/plastic join?) Last thing I need is my DD to go up in flames. But, I cant afford new injectors just yet, it'll be a few months before I can afford that, as I am still fighting my death wobble problem.

Sorry for the hi-jack.

"Mean Greenie?" I checked the link you gave us, and I'll have to dig some more. It seems like they're meant for mildly massaged engines - figure a balanced reciprocating assembly, cleaned-up intake and exhaust, headers, and the like. Even if you do cleanup work on your engine, however, it's just not designed for high-end efficiency (it's designed to make loads of power at low RPM!) and you'll probably not get any benefit for the extra money you'll spend. Stick with the stockers.

You could probably go with either source, although most here seem to go with FiveO Motorsports. I'd get the "disc type" over the "pintle type" - the internal arrangement of the injector is better and longer-lived.

I've probably got more faith in Bosch-made gear than Nippondenso, mainly because I've used an awful lot more of it. Nippondenso isn't bad - just unused (on my rigs.) ChryCo went to ND for a lot of OEMR stuff - alternators from 1991-up are ND, and so are half of the injectors. Ever since ChryCo bought a big chunk of Mitsubishi (or just all of it?) they've been using more and more ND gear.

5-90

Yes I meant the "Mean Greenie" sorry for the faux pas on the name.

I think for the most part stock is what my rig will be. I will hunt down some Bosch disc type hopefully on ebay if not FiveO Motor sports. These are the ones I will look for:

Bosch 0280150556 D5B-19lb*
NEW 6/Set: $202.50

I had another question regarding what appears to be an all copper or brass injector:

Click Here for Brass Injector

Would this be a more durable injector since it’s copper/brass?

Once again thank you for the excellent info. That really filled in the blanks on my searches so far.

Not necessarily - I'd look at those more for "novelty" factor than anything else...

Fuel rail pressures almost never exceed 40PSI - and Schedule 40 PVC will handle that just fine.

Wear usually takes place at the sealing element and its seat - which is why the "pintle-and-seat" injectors last so much less than the "disc" type. A brass/copper case won't help with that, either (and six of them will run you $300 + P&P!)

Save the bux, and get the disc injectors from FiveO. You'll thank me later.

5-90

Remember, you'll need two quick disconnect repair kits for the fuel line, and an O ring for the pressure regulator, which is included in the OEM O ring set of 13. Some people say the fuel line O rings can be reused, but IMHO it's not worth trouble down the road.

otto said:
Remember, you'll need two quick disconnect repair kits for the fuel line, and an O ring for the pressure regulator, which is included in the OEM O ring set of 13. Some people say the fuel line O rings can be reused, but IMHO it's not worth trouble down the road.

Thank you. What is the total parts list I will need for installing the 19lb stock injectors?

So far:

6 - 19lb Stock injectors
2 quick disconnects for the fuel line

What about wire connectors?

Back