• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock bolts sheared off!

RyleyF

NAXJA Forum User
No, not the upper rear shock bolts, but rather, the lower front bolts. I went over a speed bump yesterday a wee bit too fast (maybe 10 mph), it wasn't a very big speed bump, so I didn't think anything of it, until going over it I heard a big "CLUNK" from the front end. Oh my.

So today at lunch I notice that the damn jeep bounces from the front left everytime I stop, and the front end rises way up everytime I accelerate from a stop. I check out my shock, and sure enough, it's just hanging there doing nothing. I then check the speedbump area and notice two sheared off, bent bolts that used to me mine. The heads just broke right the hell off. Strange indeed.

I went to Home Depot after school and put on a couple zinc 5/16" x1 1/2" bolts and some washers to hold me over. Is there any harm in using these or should I try and find some replacements? Where can I get some replacements? And has anyone ever had this happen?

you'll be fine

you can change them to grade 8 if you'd like

Any other opinions? Just wondering why it happened and trying to make sure it wont happen again. The bolts appear to have bent first, then popped their tops.

Back