• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ Sticking parking brake

TRSCobra

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 98 xj with rear drum brakes. Last night, i pulled up the parking brake handle, and it felt like something may have snapped. I released it and pulled it up again and it felt alot looser. It still kept the jeep in place on the hill when i put it in neutral. On the way home later, it felt like it was dragging a little, and when i got home (4 miles), the right rear drum was hot. If a cable snapped, wouldn't it keep the brake released? Could it be something inside the drum?

Thanks,
Erik

There are a few springs inside there that may have let go. Two in particular keep the shoes against the backing plate. Best bet is going to take it apart and see what you have going on inside. If you do have to replace anything on the effected side, it is best is to do both sides at the same time. Brakes have to work the same on both sides. Whatever you do one side should be done on the other side. Brake parts are not something I would skimp on.

chris

Upon disassembly, I discovered it to be a sticking cable. New one on order from the dealer...

Back