• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

proper indexing of the flywheel?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
How do I install my flywheel on my renix 4.0?I mean I have a new engine I'm installing,as you all know by now.My problem is my old engine crank and flywheel are matchmarked from the time I did my clutch.The new engine has no marks on the crank shaft to match up to the flywheel.Do I just get #1 atdc and make sure one of the "windows" on the flywheel are in the right spot?What would I use as a reference?Maybe this is the time I kick myself in the ass for not buying a degree wheel?

Tell me if I'm getting warm......

Thanks

b.t.w it's a 5 speed if that matters.

As I recall, there is one of the six mounting holes on the flange/flywheel that is offset just a bit - so set the flywheel in place and turn it until all SIX holes line up - takes only a minute.

Do me a small favour - while you've got the flywheel off, would you measure the length of the bolts - not including the head? To the nearest eighth should be fine - I just need the information (the threads are 1/2-20 - that, I'm sure of.) So, length of the bolt from the underside of the head to the end of the bolt shank, or "underhead length," as it's commonly referred to.

That way, I can see if a replacement can be sourced from ARP, like with the automatics (which are 1/2-20 x 1/2", so you'll get an idea what I'm looking for...)

5-90

5-90 is correct that the bolt pattern is uneven. You can put on the crank shaft dampner and it should have a mark to line up TDC or 180 from it. I usually watch the rocker arms on the #1 cylinder. You should'nt need to do that though. I forget how long the bolt are. I know the automatics are shorter. If my memory is correct the Autos are 1/2 and the manuals are 7/8ths. I could be wrong.
Tom

Back