• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas door

jonnyxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 2dr. I would like to know if the newer xj's have a remote lever that operates the gas door from the inside. I would like to install one on my heep so I dont have to fumble around with the stupid little key when it it below zero. Thanks in advance.

My 96 isnt remote but its also not lockable.

yes you can buy them at quadratec, 4wd, etc. you could rig a quick release somehow if you wanted...not sure about wranglers or the new commander

1999 sport non lockable, no lever

I have never seen an XJ or an MJ with a locking gas door.

What do you have?

my 90 has a flip door where you push in 1 side to open it

never seen a locking one

Should be fairly easy to make one, spring load the door and use a setup out of one of the cars that has them, it's just a pin that sticks into the bay opposite the hinge.

I was hoping that I could take one off of a newer xj ( if they had one) and just bolt it in, but I dont think thats gonna work. I have an old civic that has one. It is a different size but I think that I can take some of the parts off that one and make it work. The locking cap that I have came with the xj when my dad gave to me I am sure that it is an aftermarket piece because the key is a cheap hos, I am worried that one day it will break when I need to fill up. Thanks for all the responses..

jonnyxj said:
I was hoping that I could take one off of a newer xj ( if they had one) and just bolt it in, but I dont think thats gonna work. I have an old civic that has one. It is a different size but I think that I can take some of the parts off that one and make it work. The locking cap that I have came with the xj when my dad gave to me I am sure that it is an aftermarket piece because the key is a cheap hos, I am worried that one day it will break when I need to fill up. Thanks for all the responses..

Oh, I understood your first post to say the lock was on the gas door, not the cap. So you are just looking for a way to get rid of the locking cap and have the door be operated from inside. Do you have a problem with people stealing gas where you are? Ive never really worried about it (well I did a little when it was $3+/gal).

Back