• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiring loom for mopar Tow Hitch

Berrill

NAXJA Forum User
I have just fitted a mopar Tow Hitch to my 2001 Cherokee.

I now need to get the wiring loom for a seven-pin connector. Can someone please give me the web address of a website where I can purchase the required O.E.M. parts.

If possible could you please give me the part numbers that I need.

Thanking you

Antony Berrill

Can't give you either offhand, but you're a late enough model that you should be able to get a "breakout" harness.

That means that you'll be able to go in behind one of the rear trim panels, and plug the harness in between two OEMR connectors, which will allow you to "T" off your trailer wiring - without splicing or tapping! I'm pretty sure Hoppy makes it, and any parts guy worth the money he's paid should be able to find it for you.

A quick word - avoid "chain" stores for specialty stuff. Yes, they can get the same parts. No, the people there aren't worth what they're paid (I spent three and a half years behind the counter at various Kragen's - working with, mostly, droids.) Find a small local, and cultivate a good relationship with them - it will be worth it!

5-90

Thanks for the reply; I do believe that it is as simple as T “ing” into the existing connectors.

Now here is the problem, I live in South Africa no one stocks these parts so Im going to import it directly from the USA so I need to order the exact parts as I will not be able to return it.

Thanks Antony

(its times like this I wish I /lived in the U.S.A.)

Per search..

Hoppy #47185 should plug right into your OEM wiring, and give you both a 7-pole and a 4-pole trailer connector, which simplifies things if you ever have to tow light duty (the 7-wire usually has a provision for a brake controller for the trailer, while the 4-wire does not. I usually wire for both, just to be certain - anything else can use an adapter.)

How's that? I'd missed the "Cape Town" location the first time - so thanks for the reminder!

5-90

I have the harness from my 97. Won't work in my 91 as the connectors are different. Make me an offer.

I just installed at mopar hitch on my 2000 XJ and I had a hard time finding the OEM harness. The part number for just the harness is 56009632. I got mine on ebay since when I called a jeep dealer, I was told that mopar has stopped making that harness. I found this really weird since they still make the hitch.
Alex

Thanks for the advise, I have gone to the website http://www.trailerwiring.com and found a replacement harness, being part number 42465. What I don’t understand is that there seem to be only 4 output wires, how do you control all the functions of

1) Rt Indicator
2) Lt Indicator
3) Brake Lights
4) Night Lights
5) Reverse Lights
6) Ground.

When u only have 4 wires, am I missing something.

Thanks Antony

Berrill said:
Thanks for the advise, I have gone to the website http://www.trailerwiring.com and found a replacement harness, being part number 42465. What I don’t understand is that there seem to be only 4 output wires, how do you control all the functions of

1) Rt Indicator
2) Lt Indicator
3) Brake Lights
4) Night Lights
5) Reverse Lights
6) Ground.

When u only have 4 wires, am I missing something.

Thanks Antony
4 wires give you only lt turn, rt turn, tail lights, hazard lights. The assumption is that the same light that is a tail light that comes on with the headlights blinks when used as a turn signal.

7 pin harness really requires a separate device:brake controller as it is meant to control the brakes on a trailer.

In US the reverse light is IIRC optional as 99% of the small trailers (weighing 5K lbs and less) don't have reverse lights.

Now this is getting complicated for me I forgot that in the USA the brake lights and turn signals are one.

In South Africa, turn signals are yellow and brake signals are red and are totally different bulbs.

Does anyone know if one of these harnesses will fit on my jeep being a right hand drive export? The last thing I want to do is start cutting up the original wiring harness.

Thanks for all the help.

Berrill said:
Now this is getting complicated for me I forgot that in the USA the brake lights and turn signals are one.

In South Africa, turn signals are yellow and brake signals are red and are totally different bulbs.

Does anyone know if one of these harnesses will fit on my jeep being a right hand drive export? The last thing I want to do is start cutting up the original wiring harness.

Thanks for all the help.
Well, the lights are all separate for vehicles, but what about trailers? Regulations for that might be different.

Looks like its best for me to purchase a second hand harness as I suspect there is going to be some cutting etc. Hopefully the cutting will only be on the purchased harness.

Seems like asatxi has the best soln, a second hand part.

Asatxi please check your PM

Thanks.

Back