• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sealer on oil pickup tube

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
First I want to say thanks to everybody here for giving me advice on everything.I've been pretty active on here lately.....(sappy music on)

(sappy music off)
What kind of sealer is recommended on the oil pickup tube when installing it in the oil pump?My manual says "permatex #2" I have permatex #2B laying around,so what's the diff?I noticed while reading the back of the tube it says for semi-permanent repairs w.t.f?
An oil pickup tube seems like a permanent repair to me......

Lastly,is it completely nescessary to buy a new pickup tube?Is it possible to clean the old one out real good and reinstall?

T.I.A.

1) Considering that it's usually a "press fit" (~.001" interference,) I've never found it necessary to use any sealer, and therefore haven't.

2) Again, considering it's a slight press fit, why take chances? Replace the thing, if it's convenient to do so. You could probably get away with not doing so, but for how long (and, considering the usual cost of the thing, why? It's cheap insurance.)

Even if I don't replace the oil pump, if I pull the pickup, it gets thrown away.

5-90

Back