• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5" superflex and wrong Bilstiens

LoneRanger

NAXJA Forum User
ok, I've got my 3.4" RE lift on and the Bilstiens (8" shocks) which is what are reccomended on the Bilstien site are WAY to short. I mean, I pulled out the bottom leaf of the rear leaf pack to soften up the ride and lower it a bit, and I still only have 1 & 1/2" down travel with the 8" shock. and the same amount in the front (mabey 2" of down travel on the front shocks)

the dealer I bought the lift and shocks from was EXTREEMLY accomidating, and realy helped me with the lift, shipping, etc....

but he wants me to either ship the shocks back to him, OR pay another 500+ for 4 new shocks (to be redemed when I send him back the ones I have now) I am in a pickle, I have not wheeled yet because I dont want to ruin the new Bilstien shocks, and I dont have enough $$$ to buy new shocks, even if I am going to get a refund 3 weeks later.

has anyone put on the 3.5" RE lift and have it come out to 4+" and try to run the 8" Bilstien shocks?

L.R.

Like you said. take off the parts before you end up ruining them and being out $500. If anything I would go get a cheap set of shocks to get me by until I got the right parts from your dealer. Of course that is going to run you $100ish. The best would be to just not drive until you get the parts.

4.5" uses the same length shocks as the 5.5", not 3.5". My shocks are longer than 8" forsure and I am running the 4.5".

what about putting the stock shocks back on for a couple of days ??

Next day air the package to him and have him next day your new shocks

The stock front shocks would work for an extreemly temporary time, but the rears are so damn short it's terrible! at full extension on the stock rear shocks they are an inch or so short from being able to bolt up! LOL

I am going to talk to the wife and mabey in Jan. I can just pull off all 4 shocks, send them back to him and not drive the jeep till I get the 10" shocks.
(That leaves us with 1 vehicle for probably 2 weeks or better)

I have pics somewhere of the situation if anyone would like to see them?

I am also going to get the TNT tracbar setup for 220.00 to fix the stock front tracbar bracket that has an ovalised hole.

L.R.

Of course these Bilstiens are a gas charged shock so the shocks are at full extension in these pics.

rear shock length with the full leaf pack installed

post-13-25006-tootalldriverrear.jpg

Rear shock length with single bottom leaf removed

post-13-25383-levelridedriversshock.JPG

I installed RE6030 kit and bought ProComp MX-6 shocks as recommended for 3.5" lift by ProComp. Right after putting the lift I tried to flex my suspension to check out the compression/extension I need. It turned out the shock I bought for the rear were shorter than I needed. The reason was clear - ProComp lift kit is 2.5" in the rear. I called the 4 wheel parts distributor and they replaced the shocks with some other without charge.

fatwreck said:
It looks like it's time to move those shock mounts up. :lecture:
Thats what I was going to suggest. I know JKS makes mounts for under $50 and will also solve clearance issues.

Back