• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP 9" rear application pros and cons

pperelman

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys!
I've been thinking to upgrade Chry8.25 rearend to something better and stronger not a D44 or 8.8 ...However, D44 is an option if HP 9" is not that good.
I'de like to know if HP 9" is a good condidate for a swap. IS it a real 9" 3rd member or its more like a 8.8 reverse rotation used up front in some Fords ?
TIA
Petr.

The HP 9 inch is a custom made third member and uses the reverse cut 8.8 gear set.
Currie is the only outfit I'm familair with that is casting the reverse cut center sections.
The HP gear set is NOT as strong as a standard 9 inch. The third pinion bearing, which is a large part of what makes the standard 9 inch gear set so strong, has been removed on the HP center section.

The axle shaft diameter is identical to the standard 9 inch at 31 splines and 1.33".

The HP 9 inch is plenty strong enough for mild HP vehicles with up to about 33" tires. And, of course, a statement like that is always relative to how you drive it any way.

I know of a few people that have wrecked the R&P set in HP 9inchers when using them in high HP situations.

IMO, the best application for the HP 9 inch is in short wheelbase vehicles where driveshaft length is minimal.
While there are certainly other benefits to having a higher pinion, for a Cherokee I would recommend going to either standard 9 inch, Ford 8.8 or D44; all of which should be available for less than a HP 9 inch and all of which are argueabley stronger or, at a minimum, compareable.

Back