• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 XJ W/ AW4 not moving! Help! Please!

CutLaredo

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep began acting like it was in neutral while engaged late last night and would only engage or move under high rpm's and got progressively worse in about an hours time until now it barely moves at all. Smelled like burning tranny fluid. Is this a torque converter? Brake band? Suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you!

Low hydraulic pressure or just reaching it's wear limit can cause a wet clutch pack to start slipping, at which time it will go to complete failure very quickly. Burnt transmission oil almost always indicates a failure serious enough to require a transmission overhaul. Alternatively a GUTO AW4 tranny could probably be had for around 500 clams.

I don't recall if the TCU was still stand alone in '91 but if it was, check the fuse. Mine wouldn't shift automatically when the fuse blew but it could be still be shifted manually.

Back