• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Volvo coolant bottle

casm

NAXJA Forum User
For anyone with a closed cooling system and a leaking coolant bottle, you may be able to replace it with one from a 240-series Volvo. There are other threads on this subject, but none really detail the (few) things you need to know about doing it. All of this pertains to findings made on an '89 Limited with the I6; YMMV.

Assuming that changing out the system for a closed-cooling type isn't an option, there are a couple of good reasons for going with this bottle vs. the stock one. Firstly, the Volvo bottles seem to be made considerably more durably than the OEM XJ bottle. They're also widely-available in junkyards and cheap: we paid somewhere in the region of $5 for it; not bad when you consider that finding a good coolant bottle for an XJ is next to impossible anywhere other than the dealer. The capacity's also about the same as the OEM unit, and it fits on the stock bottle mount with no trouble.

The bottle you're looking for can be found in early- to late-'80s Volvo 240s; the one we used came from a 245 sedan, gas, non-turbo. It's attached by one hex-head screw to a bracket against the passenger-side inner fender under the hood. Removal was dead simple: remove the hex screw and flip over the securing bracket, open up two hose clamps and remove the hoses and you're done. We got lucky and found one with a date of manufacture in 2002 stamped into it; be sure and check that the cap seals properly with the neck of the bottle.

Before you can fit it to the XJ, you'll need to adapt the top connector on the bottle to take the OEM XJ hose. We cut a length of (IIRC) 3/8" hose just long enough to cover the top connector, then slid it over it. It should be slightly difficult to get on; you want it to make a good seal around the connector. Some Vaseline on the inside of your adapting hose length should help. Note that the bottom connector shouldn't require any modification, but again, YMMV. It worked for us but I won't go so far as to say it will in all cases.

Remove the stock coolant bottle. Reconnect the Volvo bottle in its place, and use the securing strap to hold it back down; it should fit exactly where the OEM bottle went. Make sure that your hose clamps are good and tight against the bottle and refill with coolant as necessary. Drive around for a bit, adding coolant until the level remains constant. Check for leaks during this process.

After about 50 miles, the level seems to be staying where it should. Obviously we'll know more as time progresses, but for anyone else not wanting or able to convert to an open system this may be a workable alternative and certainly cheaper than the nearly $60 the dealer wants for an OEM bottle that'll probably rot out again.

I replaced mine with a 1.5qt moroso expansion tank and a 16lb cap.
Works great:thumbup:

Looks like this:

mor-63650_w.jpg

mor-63656.jpg

try below, got mine couple of months ago, Like the REV says "gotta keep it
maintained.
"http://motors.search.ebay.com/jeep-coolant_W0QQfromZR40QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3

RTicUL8 said:
I replaced mine with a 1.5qt moroso expansion tank and a 16lb cap.
Works great:thumbup:

[font=&quot]I made up some brackets for mounting those Moroso bottles. I have some left if you want one they are $20 shipped. It makes the install really neat and tiddy.
image001.jpg
image004.jpg

[/font]

My Coolant container is constantly empty and I am always filling it with water. Is there any way to find out if it is the bottle that is leaking or the system?

Rjackson32 said:
My Coolant container is constantly empty and I am always filling it with water. Is there any way to find out if it is the bottle that is leaking or the system?

Just FYI - from your previous posts, I see you've got a '98. All XJs from 1992 up used the open-type cooling system; this thread is talking about the earlier closed-type system used prior to that.

However, the advice given to let it get up to temperature and look for leaks still stands. The fix recommended in this thread doesn't apply to your XJ, though.

That means loosing coolant is not normal so you should figure out where its coming from. Do a thorough inspection. Common spots:

The plastic tanked radiators leak where they meet the metal radiator core.
The heater core can crack and leak usually into the cabin.
The water pump will leak when its worn out. Coolant drips from around the crankshaft pulley.
The head gasket or head (if cracked) fails and leaks coolant into the oil or cylinders.
Hoses, valves (the heater valve) and block freeze plugs can leak before total failure if cooling system maintenance is neglected.

Interesting find. The previous owner just had a new bottle installed from the dealer.

I am curious however if I should be hearing a small hiss after the truck is shutdown? Is this normal. Also how does one check the coolant level on a closed system?

There should be a MIN and MAX mark on the side of the clear bottle as the bottle gets older it gets hard to see the level thought it but you should be able to if you look carefully.

FRAM said:
Interesting find. The previous owner just had a new bottle installed from the dealer.

I am curious however if I should be hearing a small hiss after the truck is shutdown? Is this normal. Also how does one check the coolant level on a closed system?
What I was told to "burp" the system after it was open:
Jack up the rear end, park it on a hill, something to make the rear of the engine higher than the front.
Pull the coolant temp sender on the drivers side rear of the head.
Pour fluid in the coolant bottle until there is no more air coming out of the sender hole.
Put the sender back in.
Do not pull the sender hot. I had to do this a few times to get all the air out of my closed system. I Would "burp" it, then run it until the thermostat opened, let it cool and refill. I think it took 2 times before I pulled out the sender and had no air on the third go around.

The other option is to get a dealer thermostat that has a hole in the 12 O'Clock position for air to leave the motor or drill your own "vent" hole in your thermostat.
To check the level I pull the temp sender and see if there's air in there.

Back