• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

INternal Clutch slave to EXTERNAL help

kooter

NAXJA Forum User
Hi...I've been lurking soaking up some tech info on swapping my '92 XJ 6-Cyl AX-15 from internal to external. I'm getting ready to button it all up, but don't know if everything is there and in the right place.
Here's a pic of the setup. (new bellhousing, clutch fork, with spring retainer, and throwout bearing. The T.O. Bearing has a spring clip on each side, that I assume holds the fork in place. Is this how it's supposed to mount? or do the slots go on the same side as the pivot ball???
DSC01249.jpg

Also, is there anything that holds the end of the slave cylinder shaft into the clutch fork? Next is the bearing and fork, does this look right?
DSC01252.jpg

I'm also having trouble getting the pilot bearing out to replace it. It seems like there's a large flat washer holding it in, and the FSM says to use an internal puller or sumthing. How do I get it out?
DSC01250.jpg

Also...shouldn't there be a return spring or something?
Thanks for yer help

merry christmas

go to any auto parts store that has a loan-a-tool program and borrow the internal puller. Just tell them what you are doing and they'll know what tool to give you. Don't know about the rest of the set up, sorry. A word to the wise - Use a set of pliers to hold up the end of the slide hammer not your palm. One busted knuckle 2 years ago that still aches when it rains/snows compels me to tell you this.

Matt

Thanks! anyone else familiar w/ the external clutch cylinder setup and if I have all the pieces parts in the right spot?

That look about right. Did you change the front bearing retainer to an exteral slave cylinder one?
Tom

Yep...new bearing retainer & new seal, plus all the other stuff ended up being $300-$400, but was a good time replacing it all including the rear main, and oil pan gasket. Now when the slave goes out it won't trash the clutch, and I won't have to pull the trans!!!!! thanks for all yer help on this site...

Also, the 'return spring' in this setup is on the pressure plate. They are refered to as 'fingers' and are flat springs.
Tom

One thing to keep in mind is cut those little white straps off of the slave cylinder push rod.Those are there to keep the piston in place during shipping.They had me confused at first so I left them on and the first time I hit the clutch peddle I heard one snap off,and had to crawl under to cut the other off.

jeepdeepfrdak said:
de thin&!to keep in mind is cut thore l(ptle white straps off of the slave cylinder push rod.Those are there to keep the pirton cn place during shipping.They had me co`used at first #j I left them on and the first time I hit the clutch peddle I heard one snap of&$and had to cra6f under to cut the other off.[/QOTE]
I thought that was thier purpose, to keep the plunger held in un4`l the 4dit is 1vselble$& Then when the clutch (r pressed in it snaps apart.
Tom

Back