• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Not Starting, help me get it off the trail

davidt

NAXJA Forum User
Specs
1990 Jeep Commanche
6 cylinder
AW4
The Problem:
My junk is stuck on a trail and I don't want it to get parted out :p
Me and a bunch of my buddies went out wheeling tonight and we stopped for a short break. Everything was working fine, but when I get back into my jeep, it won't start, doesn't even click. So, I proceed to do the old screwdriver trick, it turns over just fine, but doesn't start. We have power from the battery to the selenoid, and to the starter, but the green wire that goes to the starter is not getting power. Also, when i get into my jeep, things that are switched directly from the battery (IE brake lights, headlights) work fine, but anything that is switched (I.E. Radio, blinkers) Don't work at all.
What I have done so far:
The Screwdriver trick
Replaced EVERY fuse
What I think it could be:
The relay (in the engine compartment)
And...any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, I really need to get it off the trail...

There's a little metal box just behind the battery in front of the relays and as I recall there's a fusable link there. Also the metal box is a "start" relay and a junction point.
Hope you get your XJ back in one piece.

Just remembered, it could also be the NSS. Try moving the shifter to "N" while holding it in the start position.

I just reread your post again. It could be the ignition switch or I think there's a fusable link in the area of the start relay.

JoBo

Last edited:
what do fusible links do? Tried putting it in neutral, but that doesn't matter, I wired the tranny totally independent of the computer, so it would not matter.

fusible links are like big fuses. It's a piece of wire smaller than the rest of the harness so it burns out first. You need to test them with a multimeter to see if they've burnt out. If you don't have one then you can usually pull on the insulation. If it stretches then the link is probably bad. If you're looking to do a quick trail fix then just splice in an inline fuse holder. Once you get home you can find the proper link and replace it right.
from rod and custom
Question: What is a fusible link?

Answer: A fusible link is made of material that will melt when overheated, and this occurs with a short or with an electrical load too great for the fuse link to handle. This keeps the rest of the vehicle wiring from melting. The fusible link wire is usually 6 inches long and two wire gauges smaller than the wire it's protecting

Looking at the Haynes book on the starter relay there's a black/red wire from the power distribution panel. You should have 12 volts there all the time unless f-10 (40 amps) is blown (this could be a fuseable link). If not find the other end of the blk/red wire and check there. I can't find on your 90 how alway +12 gets to the ignition switch but on earlier ones it shows a fusable link going from the start relay to the ignition switch.

don't know if you have it out yet but for a trail repair cut her ignition wires only the 12 gauge ones and then cut the small green one.they are all under the dash coming from the pas.side of the colume.The 12 gauge red wire is allways power put the other 12 gauge wires to it splice or something and just tuch the green wire to it till it starts.that shoould work.

Nevada City Sparky said:
Does the fuel pump cycle (groan) when you go to start? Could be the dread CPS that's gone bad.
weird thing about it is the fuel pump cycles, but only when I touch the brakes :eek:

davidt said:
weird thing about it is the fuel pump cycles, but only when I touch the brakes :eek:

That is wierd. Consideringf this happened during wheeling, could it be that you have toasted some wires behind the engine (where the CPS wire runs) and possibly are shorting out on brake wiring that may also be in the same area?

Real speculative, but might be what's happening. Only xplanation I can think of....

got it going, thanks for the help. Weirdest thing I have ever seen, the wire that goes to the ignition switch had been worked back and forth so many times it actually broke in half :eek:, after we figured it out, it was only a matter of getting a butt connector, stripping the wires, and putting it back together. THanks a million!

P.S. I hate electrical work

Back