• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-Bolt Question *ASAP* if you can.

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
OK... so, im installing new RE 1463 leafs in the back. Why the heck is it so dang hard to get the nuts down on the U-bolt!!! Do I need to use an impact wrench? Will it strip out the U-bolt itself? My frekin hand is tired from turing the nut on them. Why are the threads so fine... The leaf packs did not come with new u-bolts. Im using the same u-bolts that came on there and the previous leafs were the same RE 1463's they were just totally sagging. Do they sell u bolts at kragan? I think the ones that I have a stripped out not from trying. Please let me know what I should do. Are they usually this hard to get off and on? Should i guy new ones and where do they sell them Kragan, PepBoys.. so that I dont have to order them so that i can drive my jeep tomorrow.... Thanks for the imput... :us: :heart:

If you suspect the threads are shot you could just buy some new bolts. They should be cheap and plentiful at places like kragen and pep boys. Some shops will just make them up for you on the spot if you bring in an example bolt to work from. What axle is it?

Edit: you'll need to know the diameter of the axle tube to get the right fit:
Dana 44: 2.75"
Dana 35: 2.67"
Chrysler 8.25": 3.00"
The length of the bolts will depend on the thickness of your pack/shims/etc...

Last edited:
Beej said:
What axle is it?

Its a C8.25
Im just pissed because Im installing this right now and the u bolt is screwed up and I have friends meeting me here at 7 AM to go wheeling.
The bolts just keep spinning on the u bolt. I need one new u bolt. I hope they have em at kragan at 7 in the morning

By the book, you should never reuse u bolts. That being said, Ive reused them as well as most on here. If they are rusted so bad that you think you may strip them, its time to replace them though. Like was said above, auto parts stores should have a selection and spring or driveline shops can make them.

Ray H said:
By the book, you should never reuse u bolts. That being said, Ive reused them as well as most on here. If they are rusted so bad that you think you may strip them, its time to replace them though. Like was said above, auto parts stores should have a selection and spring or driveline shops can make them.

OK well I need new ones that is for sure. Why are the threads so fine. why are the bolts that go on so long? Has anyone ever used an impact wrench to put the bolts on them?

The threads are fine so they have greater resistance to tension loading. They are too long because someone didnt cut them off when they installed them. You can use an impact to put them on but the final torque should be done by hand to insure that its done evenly.
If you go off roading right after you install these, keep your ratchet and socket handy with you and check those puppies often to see that they arent loosening. They should be checked after a few road miles anyway, but off roading is going to cause them to loosen up quicker. just keep an eye on them.

Ray H said:
The threads are fine so they have greater resistance to tension loading. They are too long because someone didnt cut them off when they installed them. You can use an impact to put them on but the final torque should be done by hand to insure that its done evenly.
If you go off roading right after you install these, keep your ratchet and socket handy with you and check those puppies often to see that they arent loosening. They should be checked after a few road miles anyway, but off roading is going to cause them to loosen up quicker. just keep an eye on them.

OK... so... you just gave me ALL the info that I needed except the toque setting =) BTW I appreciate it :kissyou:

fdsa487 said:
OK well I need new ones that is for sure. Why are the threads so fine. why are the bolts that go on so long? Has anyone ever used an impact wrench to put the bolts on them?

I wouldn't touch them without an impact!

Based on my experience with the same RE leafs and U-bolts, they use a nylok nut that's fairly low grade with their u-bolts. I found that I could never get them torqued down tight enough to keep the leafs from wandering around side to side and that they totally stripped the u-bolts after two or three torquings. The nuts/u-bolts wouldn't hold a torque and I eventually broke a center pin while out wheeling due to the leaf pack moving around - could have been really bad...

I found a local spring shop and they custom fabbed a set of u-bolts based on the pieces of the old ones I brought them and provided grade 8 nuts. All for about $25 and 1hr while I waited.

I torqued them down to 90 to 100 ft lbs and have had no problems since. I believe the OEM spec is 52 ft lbs (don't quote me), but with the heavier duty u-bolts/nuts I torqued them until the bolt just started to bend the top retention plate and then I stopped.

I'd recommend a phone call to a good spring shop to see if they'll fab a set.

Be careful with the torque specs. It's going to vary depending on bolt size and fine/coarse threads, and dry or lubed threads.

Don't forget to re-torque them after a few miles.

Back