• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 lifting points(searched)

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I'll be putting my new motor in this week and need some advice on where to attach the chains to lift it out.I searched and the only thing I saw was how to lift without the manifolds on.

That's fine when I pull the old motor because I already have the head and manifolds off but I want to drop the new motor in with the manifolds installed.That way I don't have to fight with the bolts in the tight space of the engine bay.I've pulled a 2.5 before but that was like 5 years and many beers ago so I don't remember alot of it.

I've gathered that I'm going to use one of the ac bracket bolts to lift on that side.As for the manifold side Where should I attach the chain with the manifold attached? T.I.A and merry xmas.

As I recall there's two head bolts, one at eather end of the engine that are longer then the rest. Use a chain held on by big strong washrs and a second bolt.

JoBo

I'd use the A/C mount hole on the right, and the rearmost stud on the left. Use washers on both, and you might have a little difficulty getting a chain to fit the two sizes (3/8" and 1/2",) but both should be plenty strong for what you're doing.

Make sure you get the side bolt threaded in nice and deep - don't just grab two threads. If possible, get a bolt long enough to bottom in the hole and just have room for the chain over the boss...

5-90

I just recently finished putting a new 4.0 into my Cherokee. I used the long head bold at the very rear drivers side of the head ... it had a woven ground wire attached to it. The other end of the chain was attached to the AC holder.

Make sure you're using a big huge chain, large beefy washers, and bolt/nut combo on the AC end of the chain.

Thanks everybody...that probably was a newb question but I didn't know if that rear head bolt would hold all that weight.

B.T.W 5-90,I wish I knew half of what you have forgotten!!

I forgot to tell you. If the fluid leaks out of the crane, it's just ATF fluid. It may be a bit funny since I had it laying down sideways in the MJ. Good luck.

87manche said:
I forgot to tell you. If the fluid leaks out of the crane, it's just ATF fluid. It may be a bit funny since I had it laying down sideways in the MJ. Good luck.

It would help if you gave me the jack handle!!.....I'm just kidding lol,my jack handle fit it ok.
I should have the old motor pulled out tomorrow,and then it's a waiting game until the rest of the parts arrive.I hope they get here soon...I guess I could wait as long as Saturday and if they're not here by then I'll be forced to go ahead and put it in without them.(fingers are crossed)

jeepdeepfreak said:
It would help if you gave me the jack handle!!.....I'm just kidding lol,my jack handle fit it ok.
I should have the old motor pulled out tomorrow,and then it's a waiting game until the rest of the parts arrive.I hope they get here soon...I guess I could wait as long as Saturday and if they're not here by then I'll be forced to go ahead and put it in without them.(fingers are crossed)

DAMNIT! yeah, that was in the cab. Good thing yours fit. It's a 2 hour drive and a hlaf tank of gas...

Ok....just finished pulling the old motor...

O.M.F.G!!! At the time I finished it was 11 deg!!I forgot to come in and get warm about halfway through it and I lost feeling in my hands and feet even with 3 pairs of rocky hunting socks on.(mechanix gloves DO NOT INSULATE!!)

For those who have never pulled a 4.0 before on a 5 speed,do yourself a favor and, pull the transmission back a little and remove radiator.Also make sure you take the harmonic balancer off the front of the engine (I feel so stupid)for more clearance before you pull.I tried to pull the engine leaving the trans.crossmember bolted up and the harmonic balancer attached....haha that was a big mistake.The balancer hit the radiator support and the input shaft hung up on the pressure plate.

Lesson learned!!!

Your joking right?

That motor will come out with no effort. The radiator needs to come out, thats for sure, but when you hook up the cherry picker, dont lift the engine up level. Set the chain so that the front of the motor is higher then the rear, and reinstall the same way.

nope not joking...
The radiator was out...
Did you leave the trans cross member bolted up?Was it a 5 speed that you were working on?That was the biggest problem....the fact that the input on the ax15 sticks in the pressure plate so far.To compound things the extra clearance needed was sucked up by the crank pulley.

Although you are probably right about setting the hoist chain so as to have the front of the engine tilted up.....that sounds like it would have helped ,I'll try it when I put the new one in.

Last edited:
Back