• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sliders or rear locker

learjets

NAXJA Forum User
Next things I would like to add are Rock sliders and a Aussie Locker.

Any thoughts on what should be first? Thanks in advance for your 2 cents

94 XJ 4.0 Auto 231 3.55 Dana 30/44 BFG AT 31-10.5/15 3 inch lift

Rocker protection is very high on list of must-haves for XJs. Lockers are down the list.

I've always heard to put protection high on the priority list. I'd think if the trail was difficult enough to justify the help of a locker, I'd want some protection. I'd go sliders and then locker. My .02. See what the big dogs think.

Jeffro600 said:
Sliders...no questions about it.
x2

consider a noslip for the rear locker

sliders hands down. You can always get a tug or winch from a buddy but they can't help after you crush your rig on a rock. Sliders, T-case skid and gas tank skid are definately priorities..well that and tow points.

Depends on if you care what your junk looks like. If you care about the appearance and you want to protect it protect your rockers. If you don't care, lockers. You will most likely f up your rockers alot more after the installation of lockers due to the fact that you can get over more obstacles. My .02 cents.

I did the lockers first because I did not care about apearance. It is functional not a pretty trail rig. I cut out my beat up rockers and replaced them with 2 x 6 3/16 tubing, very functional.

ipwsar.jpg

Sliders (Rock Rails) first. Once you get them, you will use them! Mine were paid for after my first outing after they were installed...fun to get over obstacles too.

The guys with more experience tell me that I need to learn to drive "open" before I even THINK of getting lockers. I'm taking that advise seriously.

If you want the body to stay nice, rocker protection first, then lock it later. If you don't care about the body, then lock it up and wheel it. The rockers aren't the only thing that rock rails protect... the door skins will get more beat up as well, and your glass is much more vulnerable.

Oh yeah, and I've beat the ever-living piss out of the rocker panels on mine, and have no trouble opening the 4 (dented) doors. After every outing I take the time to open the doors and beat the sheetmetal back down flat. I've dropped my rig off of ledges using the rocker panels, and dropped the rocker panels onto rocks and have yet to have trouble opening the doors because of it. My next build, however, will have square tube welded in in place of the rocker panels because I don't like breaking glass.

Looking at your gearing in your rig, I personally would want deeper gears and if you wanted to regear them you might as well put in some full carrier replacement lockers but thats a lot of money. So for now id say sliders and when you get about $1500 regear with detroits or arb's, or spool the rear and lockrite the front.

Thanks for all the awsome input.

Both of my XJ's are DD so protection is high on the list! I've not wheels very hard yet so I've not gotten stuck yet so I guess I'll wait a while on the locker.
Time now to look at buying or building a set of sliders......

Armor 1st.

Back