• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Coupler Shaft

steveC

NAXJA Forum User
While taking care of some loose ends in our '94 this afternoon, I asked my wife to rock the wheel while looking underneath for the source of some growing steering play (it's really loose when cold, with a creak, but improves with heat).

I expected that the steering box would have a problem, but what I really found was that the coupler shaft between the firewall and the PS box is the real problem. It has a rubber bushing in the top joint that holds the joing to the square shaft, and that bushing is shot. Really shot. The rest of the steering linkage looks to be in decent shape.

I have a sinking suspicion that the bushing isn't replaceable by itself, and that the entire shaft is a dealer-only item. No luck on any of my usual on-line parts houses for this either.

Has anyone repaired one before, or am I just after an entire new $haft?

Also known as a 'Ragjoint"....I got a pic some where it isn't the best but did the best I could in paint
strgspacerragjnt6yg.png

I'll look around for something a little clearer.The rubber part is bolted with 4 bolts that tie the lower shaft to the upper shaft...bout 11 or 12 bux at a parts store

Here's a pic...they're not that hard to r n r...just make sure the steering wheel is in the right position and centered...
untitled0pv.png

Back