• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator skid plate?

DBenz

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

A guy here in town is selling his XJ (keeping his TJ) and he wants to sell me some parts off of it before he sells it. He's got a gas tnak skid that I'm buying, and he also has what I think is a radiator skid plate. It's like what you see on the Four Real Steel front bumpers. Angles down from the front bumper towards the axle. Not as prominant as most, has circular holes in it.

My question is basically, is this a worthy skid plate to have? He wants $50 for it, do you think i should get it or invest monbey elsewhere? Who runs them?

Thanks guys, you have always helped me out, I should be red in a week or two.

keep your 50$. its a stock skid probably and isnt worth your money or the time to put it on. if your still stock it might help to protect your steering some, but i wouldnt pay 50 for it

Ramsey said:
keep your 50$. its a stock skid probably and isnt worth your money or the time to put it on. if your still stock it might help to protect your steering some, but i wouldnt pay 50 for it

Put the RE 3.5" superflex on 2 weeks ago. I will have to take a looka t it, I thought I've seen them on a few older cherokees before. I'll see if there's a brand name or if it's just OEM.

the only thing those stock ones are good for is deflecting some water away from the alt and they help to keep the engine bay cleaner.

A bit off topic. I found out that the gas tank skid and the radiator skid are both stock Jeep parts (OEM). He wants $50 for the radiator skid and $70 for the gas tnak skid. What do you guys think?

I was originally planning on getting the DPG skids, they are very nice.

i would just put the $70 towards an aftermarket one.

I wouldn't give more than 20 bucks for it. There isn't enough bracing there to keep it from folding up if it lands on a rock or something (trust me on this one). It does do good at keeping the stock steering alive for that ONE oops hit when you didn't see that stump or rock.

^ what he said ^

And it's just a front skid plate. Considering the radiator sits above the bumper, that skid doesn't protect much if you're not at stock height. My XJ came with one stock, but I eventually removed it because it was only good for getting in the way when I was wrenching on my Jeep.

Dad's '90 has those, he found that the front one will lift the front tires off what ever surfaces the front tires were using when running in deep snow, especially if running 225/70/15 tires. And like Jason said, it'll be a pita to work around too. That being said, I'd still pull the plates off that truck when his truck dies for mine.

The gas tank skid can be modified, if you have a welder and some steel, to be useful. A friend of mine and I added some 1/2 X 1/2 angle and some bracing to his OEM. So far it has held up great. We were able to make a very useful skid for a fraction of the price of an aftermarket one. Also $70.00 seems a little steep though. If you can find them at PNP I think they go for $30.00. They are hard to find though.

Neil

Once you get over 5" lift, the steering *will* hit the OEM front skid when disco'd - esp. around the adjustment sleeve. Kinda pointless when you can get a beefy tie rod for the same or less money.

I've beaten the crap out of my OEM gas tank skid and it's holding up fine - not bad for the $30 I paid for it. :D

edit: I had no problems with the front skid at 4" of lift, but it hit like crazy after the spacers went in.

I only paid $10 a piece for front, gas, and t-case (w/ crossmember w/ nutcerts). Wasn't really looking for them, they just happened to be on a Jeep that I was pulling something else off. Front and t-case are pretty easy to find in Junkyards. Gas Tank that is still intact is a little harder to find around here. The PnP's usually destroy them when they put the vehicles on thier "stands"

I had one of those front steering skid thingos. I totalled it on a rock. The funny thing was though; had it not been there the rock wouldn't have made contact with anything.

I got sick of it being in the way all the time, and busted out the old makita with the zip disk on it, and removed it.

price is a little steep... I paid $20 for the whole set of stock skids.. never put the front one on.. T-case and gas tank skids are holding up fine.

Back