• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quieter trim package?

XJ Eric

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I've done a search but no hits.

anyway, I was wondering if the different trim levels were were quieter than others. The wife would be willing to get another XJ if there was one that was queiter than our 98 Sport. She hates how loud it is.

Is the coutry or any of the other trim types have more sound absorption material?

thanks for the help guys!

I've got the country, and as far as I can tell there is no difference in sound levels from the classics or the sports I have ridden in.

Tell your wife that she is experiencing the privlidge of riding in a Jeep. If it was any quieter then it would have to be renamed the Cush Mobile.

Actually, I think you have an advantage. You can have the XJ all to yourself.

She ought to ride in mine with a cat back with 2 1/2 pipes and a Banks exhaust header. Then there is the wine of the lower gearset in my 8 1/4.

I'd love to have the quiteness of a stock XJ.

The newer Xjs are quieter, they have more sound deadening insulation under the carpet. To me, a stock XJ in good shape with the right tires is not loud, a lift XJ with no carpet and mud tires is a different story lol. Take her out and drive several.

my 2001 is pretty quiet... sitting in my driveway :-D

in the rain, the road noise is a lot louder, it sounds like the two rear doors are opened.

like mentioned above, the carpet can quiet things a little, you *might* make your wife a little happier if you add more insulation under the carpet, but... that's not exactly a quick project.

Sound material in the doors can be done in a day, spend another couple of hours dropping the headliner and putting it on the roof, lift the rear cargo area carpet and lay it there as well as the rear plastic. It does not take alot. I had a couple of old big comforters layed out in the back while hauling some dirty stuff, rear seat folded down. I'm looking for a goos substitute for that expensive audio deadner and will be walking around loews in the next couple of weeks to check out a posting someone else put here on sound system improvments. He found stuff that was a quarter of the price of the "pro" material.
The wind noise, thats another issue, they have the aerodynamics of a brick, you want loud, try a TJ with 31's, half doors and soft top unless it's one of the new ones where the top is sailcloth, amazingly quiet in comparision.

E031.jpg

Back