• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whining noise when I turn the wheel

Rjackson32

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1998 Cherokee Sport and when I turn either way, it will Intermittently whine really really loud. I am thinking it has something to do with the power steering but I am not sure exactly what it is. Is this a common problem? Easily fixed? Thanks guys

Eagle: Do you think I could bring it up to you and see if you could diagnose it?

Check to make sure you've got fluid in the reservoir.

Rjackson32 said:
The fluid is at the Add line but there is still a lot of fluid in the resivoir

Well... It's at the 'add' line. Does this suggest that you may perhaps need to add fluid?

Also check the belt for tension and/or fatigue. About a half-inch of deflection midway between the pulleys is good; make sure there are no cracks or frays in it at the same time.

I'll go out on a limb here and say you're probably not an automotive expert. And there's nothing wrong with that (though it does help to know how to check and maintain your vital fluids, and why you need to do that).
:repair:
If the steering hydraulic fluid is at the add level, add some, maybe 4 oz. at a time, until it's at the full mark. Start up and turn the wheel lock to lock a few times then shut off and check it again and fill as needed. If the noise doesn't go away completely don't despair, the oil may have small air bubbles that will sort of amplify the natural mechanical noise in the pump, but they should work out over time.

Mine has always done some singing when the weather gets cold. Usually goes away once the engine warms up..

Dave in Eugene said:
I'll go out on a limb here and say you're probably not an automotive expert. And there's nothing wrong with that (though it does help to know how to check and maintain your vital fluids, and why you need to do that).
:repair:
If the steering hydraulic fluid is at the add level, add some, maybe 4 oz. at a time, until it's at the full mark. Start up and turn the wheel lock to lock a few times then shut off and check it again and fill as needed. If the noise doesn't go away completely don't despair, the oil may have small air bubbles that will sort of amplify the natural mechanical noise in the pump, but they should work out over time.

Will do. Thanks man. Is there any specific brake fluid I should be using. Also, I am going to change my oil, it has been about 6,000 miles since the last one. I have 115,000 miles. What oil should I put in?

NOT brake fluid. Power steering fluid.

I use Catrol GTX 10-40 just because my jeep likes it, regardless of what you get pick up a haynes or chilton manual while your at the auto store. Thats how I started.

Jesse

noresttill said:
pick up a haynes or chilton manual while your at the auto store. Thats how I started.

Jesse

I'll second that. I sometimes read mine strictly for enjoyment.

I'll "third" that! Get a good shop manual and begin reading. Not only have I read shop manuals for fun... but my wife thinks I'm crazy for taking it with me to the crapper.... :)

I topped off the power steering fluid and it hasn't made any noises since, but then again, it was intermittent before, so I guess it will take time to see if the problem is gone.

DSN46 said:
but my wife thinks I'm crazy for taking it with me to the crapper.... :)
And I thought I was the only one to do that.

If you're changing the oil in the 4.0 your Jeep takes 10W-30. At 6,000 miles its overdue.

Back