• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sagging to the right badly with rock Krawler lift.

wvredxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, purchased my clayton lift about a two months ago, it uses all rock krawler springs, and i know about the torque lean, but damn its bad. Whats my options on atleast getting it somewhat unnoticable? Getting ready to put a ford 8.8 in, and i can switch the springs from side to side if that helps, i got to figure something out. Oh and its a 8 inch lift if that makes much difference.

First big question is, "when did you torque the suspension bolts?" After assembly, everything should be sitting on all four tires before you actually torque anything. That alone may account for some of the difference in height...

i torqued it on the tires, went over it all again after a few hundred miles, seems tight, i did break half of the aluminum shim on the driver side off, havent replaced it yet, but most of it is in there, or atleast some of it, so if anything it shoudl sit to the driver side but it doesnt.

What sway bar discos you got. If they are ADJ you might have them uneven. The little shim? For the rear leaf packs? Loosen all of your leaf spring bolts. Push the Jeep to settle the suspension. Re check for lean. Look at the front coils and make sure they are in the buckets correctly. Do you have the revolver type shackles in the rear? If so that is your problem.

jks quicker disco's, no revolver shackles. It leans more when its disconnected then when it is, so? I have no rear sway bar.

I am having the same problem and I can tell you what not to do, mine was 3/4 of an inch low in the front, and a half an inch low on the right side, makes for a huge dip to the right front.

I recently got tired of the lean and bought a new set of front springs, this fixed nothing, so I installed a 3/4 in spacer in the front. it still looked and felt like the front right was diving.

I decided to fool around with it this afternoon and my measurements showed that the right rear spring was 1/2 inch shorter than the left, upon closer inspection It turns out that the leaf packs did not have identical small leaves. I dropped my rear end, and dismantled my spring packs. I discovered a 1/2 inch difference in curvature of the two small leaves. I dismantled my old stock spring packs and decided to try to replace the smallest lift spring with the two smallest from the stock pack.

this netted me another inch of lift! oops! I checked my measurements again, and the lean is now exaggerated. 1 inch higher on the left than the right.

I am thouroughly aggrivated now, because it appears that I cannot fix it without buying new spring packs......and I am currently an unemployed college student.....again. anyone have any solutions that will allow me to have the same spring rate on both sides and not buy new packs?

I had a problem similar to this. I was able to use a stock spring isolator from an zj (i think) ontop of my stock isolator up front. just on one side evened it up pretty good. The rear springs are ussually the culprit, they are much stiffer than the front and any rear sag will make the front sag as well.

This is pretty common on lifted XJ's. My rig with RE 4.5" rear springs and 1" block does it, as well as my friend's rig with RE 4.5" rear springs and longer shackles. First question: are you locked in the back? What locker if so?

The reason it's common is because the torque of the motor leans the whole rig over to the passenger side when you first take off from a stop. On my rig, I swapped the rear springs side to side after a bit, and it was then leaning to the driver's side for a while until it evened out. Having a locker in the back makes it worse, because when you park you usually turn a bit first, and if you turn one way and park it, the passenger side sag will be even worse.

My suggestion: try swapping the rear leaf packs side to side first and see if it changes. I would bet that your passenger side leaf is just worked in better than the driver's side due to the constant torque of the motor.

nope.......no locker, just the stock 8.8 l/s

It cannot be torque causing my lean, it leaned the second I installed the lift, without driving anywhere. I loosened everything up, went around the block, forced it level and tightened everything back up. I expected it to settle, but it has settled more on the low side!

what about you wvred? locker lean?

Up front just add one or two stock XJ rubber isolators to even it out, each one adds 5/8 of an inch. Since you can assemble and disassemble a leaf spring pack hit the salvage yard pick up an XJ, Dakota or S10 rear pack and play around with the leafs until it comes out right with the minimum of increased stack height. I had to take mine apart and adjust it four or five times on my bastard packs. I believe I ended up using an XJ short leaf on the left and a Dakota short leaf on the right (thicker & more arch). Sits level and I cant feel the difference in town or off road.

Echo the torque after setting it down comments.
Leaf pack clamps that are too tight along with too much friction between leafs can add all kinds of hysterysis to your ride ride height measurements. Make the clamps no tighter than necessarry (fold over type) and make sure the slider pads are in place.

John

If you are refering to my post (unequal springing in the rear) the answer is no. I dont notice any thing different, and I have a fairly sensitive "rear" from years of autocrossing and a lot of skid pad developement work.

You just have to keep swapping leafs until you get what you want. Its time consuming but not difficult. You results will probably be different concerning what mix of leafs you end up.

You can even use different shackle lengths to accomplish the same thing. Did this on several road race and circle track cars for weight jacking and it worked fine. Often had ride heights an inch different between any two corners but ran like stink and the cross weights were perfect.

Unless someone has experience with small differences in ride heights being a problem on an XJ I wouldnt sweat a half inch or less just for looks. Close enough close enough. You are going to rip your hair out to get it perfect.

John

How much lean are we talking here?
Start by checking a few things.
Are the coils seated in the dimple in the coils buckets?
If so, go to the rear leafs. RK coils are very soft and if you have things off in the rear it will throw the front off badly.
If everything is installed and seated correctly, it's possible you have a bad coil spring.

ok, so I have been going about this this the wrong way, i wanted to make everything balanced to level it. when i should just add a leaf to one side, or pull one from the other side.

anyone know a good place to buy the center bolts for leaf springs?

goodburbon said:
ok, so I have been going about this this the wrong way, i wanted to make everything balanced to level it. when i should just add a leaf to one side, or pull one from the other side.

anyone know a good place to buy the center bolts for leaf springs?
You're chasing a rabbit there.
If it's that uneven there's a problem.
Find it. Fix it.
Mismatching leafs from side to side to get it level is ghetto at best.

the coils are in there buckets, its the rear anyways not the front,because the rear sags the front does too. You can see a different arch on the springs, the passanger side is flater. Should i call them and ask them to give me new springs, i have no locker yet! That goes in next week.

wvredxj said:
Should i call them and ask them to give me new springs,
Not sure I understand the question.
You bought new springs, one of them is bad.
Why wouldn't you call them for replacement?

Last edited:
Back