• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well, here we go...

XJ Dreamin'

NAXJA Forum User
The XJ wouldn't start this morning. I didn't have time to look at it then (had to get the boys to school) but I will say this: If it were carbureted, I would say it was flooded. It had a fast crank and wanted to run sometimes, but couldn't quite do it. I think I smelled gas as if some were passing out the exhaust, unburned. But, as I say - I didn't have time to look at it. I only had time this evening to push it into the shop. I'll start on it in the morning.

I bought a new multimeter while I was out, today. My old Simpson has bit the dust. My research here on NAXJA tells me to start with the vacuum system, but I figure I'm going to want to check out the TPS, MAP, CPS, etc.

Wish me luck. I am accepting ideas of any denomination. Anything that will help get me back on the road.

Cherokee91Red said:
If you think its flooded, the first thing I would do is pull the spark plugs and make sure they're dry.

Good idea. Thanks. This would be a good time to replace them. I never have before :laugh3:

Sounds like your IAC is stuck shut. Second choice would be something with the MAP. Use the key method to check for stored codes (GoJeep has pretty good list). A stuck IAC won't show up as a stored code.
Try starting it with the throttle open about 1/8-1/4 and see what happens (after the plugs and cylinders have had some time to dry out). Sometimes warming up the motor, will allow the IAC to unstick itself.
Next step is to check for spark.

Update: it's running...

...and I don't know why!

I went out to the shop this morning, and just as standard procedure, turned it over.

It fired right up! I didn't get a chance to do anything. I checked the TPS with the multimeter. It responds correctly to changing throttle position. Vacuum lines look good, even at the bottle under the bumper. A sticky IAC makes sense. It's a little warmer today than it was yesterday, plus it had the afternoon warming yesterday to help unstick it.

I put my hand on the exhaust while it was running. No misses, no extra fuel...heck - no oil. It's running great.

So, I'm stuck waiting for it to do it again, or just replacing everything, pell mell - not likely.

Thanks, Cherokee91Red and 8Mud. I'll update this thread if there are any more developments.

Keep wishing me luck.
Now I'm stuck waiting for it to do it again.

Back