• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Question

Sorry, you're asking a legitimate question here.........but I'm going to rant for a second.

Where did all of this front spool/welded diff stuff come from?

Like I just said in another post, welded front diffs are lame. They may work for some, but the degree of success is purely based on expectations.....low expectations.

To answer your question. No, you won't have a locker in the front if the diff is welded and the hubs are locked. You'll have a spool. A spool and a locker are different. A spool permamently locks the two front axles together, so both tires will always turn at the same speed, meaning one tire will always have to slip when cornering. A locker allows differentiation, which is one tire turning faster than the other when cornering. The tires won't have to slip when cornering with a locker, since the locker allows the outside tire to turn faster than the inside tire, so no tire scrubbing when cornering with a locker.

A locker still won't turn as good as an open diff will, and a spool won't turn as good as a locker will.

Considering the amount of money we spend on our rigs in lifts, tires, gears, etc, the couple of hundred bucks that a lunchbox locker costs is pretty damn cheap. It's impossible to argue that a spooled front won't be harder on axle joints, the degree depending on terrian. Two broken front shafts is the same as the cost of a locker. So, what's cheap?

You guys that are so willing to tout your welded front diffs need to understand something. To most of us around here, you're simply saying that "I don't care much about handling, and I'm cheap". If that's OK with you, it's OK with us, but don't expect to not get called on it.

Goatman said:
Sorry, you're asking a legitimate question here.........but I'm going to rant for a second.

Like I just said in another post, welded front diffs are lame. They may work for some, but the degree of success is purely based on expectations.....low expectations.

To answer your question. No, you won't have a locker in the front if the diff is welded and the hubs are locked. You'll have a spool. A spool and a locker are different. A spool permamently locks the two front axles together, so both tires will always turn at the same speed, meaning one tire will always have to slip when cornering. A locker allows differentiation, which is one tire turning faster than the other when cornering. The tires won't have to slip when cornering with a locker, since the locker allows the outside tire to turn faster than the inside tire, so no tire scrubbing when cornering with a locker.

A locker still won't turn as good as an open diff will, and a spool won't turn as good as a locker will.

Considering the amount of money we spend on our rigs in lifts, tires, gears, etc, the couple of hundred bucks that a lunchbox locker costs is pretty damn cheap. It's impossible to argue that a spooled front won't be harder on axle joints, the degree depending on terrian. Two broken front shafts is the same as the cost of a locker. So, what's cheap?

You guys that are so willing to tout your welded front diffs need to understand something. To most of us around here, you're simply saying that "I don't care much about handling, and I'm cheap". If that's OK with you, it's OK with us, but don't expect to not get called on it.

Awesome Rant.

B

I don't understand the popularity either. Personally, a welded diff seems like a problem just waiting to happen. I ran a mini-spool in my axle and the forces it put on the axles and diff seemed outrageously high. I can vision a weld breaking and sending metal everywhere inside the diff. Then you'd have to most likely buy a new locker, carrier, and ring&pinion.

Also, i only ran the mini-spool for a month, then bent down abd brought a locker. When I pulled the cover, the spool itself had started to flake off leaving a decent amount of metal in the bottom. I'm glad I changed it when I did.

I very much agree that welding the front is a bad idea... but to answer your question... with the hubs unlocked, nothing should spin but the front wheels.

Both axles and the Driveshaft will spin as soon as you lock even one hub though.... and it will turn like absolute dog poo offroad... Not to mention it will overwork your stock steering pump, gearbox, and frame mounting points unless they are braced.

Goatman said:

Well said.

May I quote you?

Back