• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Side marker lights

Steve F

NAXJA Forum User
Do the side marker lights on US XJ's do anything. My aussie ones are just reflectors and after taking one out for a look see it's blanked off. I was hoping I could get a proper useable lense there and wire them up to use as indicators as it is a legal requirement here in Aus but my snorkel meant the small one that is usually above the flare on Aussie and Euro XJ's needed to be removed.

It's the one on the fender that I'm talking about.

jeep1.jpg

Cheers
Steve

99% certain that my side markers light up when I turn the parking lights on. not very bright, but still bright enough to be noticed at dusk

97+ they work with the turn signals, there's a writeup somewhere on converting the older style to flash along with the turn signals.

let me see if I can find it....

from GoJeep's page, about 1/4 of the way down

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/Exterior.htm

also on MadXJ, click on "Technical", scroll down to "Rewiring the Marker Lights as Turn Signals"

Http://www.madxj.com

If I understand your post correctly, you just have an amber colored reflecter instead of a light- if that is the case, then you may have to pick up a set of U.S. style marker lights.

good luck

-B

Last edited:
My '94 (US domestic model) illuminates with the headlights on. It also flashes with the turn signals.

Why not just re-locate the indicator you removed to the snorkel itself? :)

I'd try to find some of those lenses at the junkyard around here, but they wouldn't have the newer (1997+) style Cherokees. I'd just search eBay instead, you should be able to find some there.

To answer a couple of questions, yep they are just amber reflectors, no light at all or socket for bulb etc. When I took one out it was just a reflect with a white backing on it.

I could relocate the one that I took off when the snorkel went on but it would be nice to have something bigger and more obvious than the tiny one that was there :) Looks like I might need to dig around on ebay and find some post 97 US light to go there.

Cheers
Steve

they were always turn signals and parking lamps on xj's just some have the notorious wiring short and they do not come on on alot of older xj's. you should be able to wire them up no problem.

www.asp-eberle.de is a Crown automotive distributor in Germany. They also stock USA spec. They are reasonable for the US spec stuff (not much demand). Might be worth an E-mail.
My early XJ also had a blind reflector (export model), but did have a molded imprint for where the light socket should go. A few minutes work with a Dremel tool and some key hole files and the US spec bulb and holder plugged right in. A piggy back splice to the turn signal wire wasn't much trouble.

Steve,

Did you eventually come right with your side markers? Why I'm asking is that I'm suspecting my Jeep also to be the same as yours as I think SA and Aus got very similar specification Jeeps. I was considering changing mine to white/clear lenses and I've noticed the clear ones available do have light bulbs fitted.

Andre

I have an 88 chief and on mine the reflectors/lights do not blink with my front turn signals (just constant illumination) I purchased a set of side markers for a VW golf, the ones that go above the wheel well. I havnt had time to install them yet, but this might be another option for you to think about

xjwisconsin said:
I have an 88 chief and on mine the reflectors/lights do not blink with my front turn signals (just constant illumination) I purchased a set of side markers for a VW golf, the ones that go above the wheel well. I havnt had time to install them yet, but this might be another option for you to think about

http://madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARturnSignalRewiring/TurnSignalRewiring.htm

Read that article. That is how you convert the older model XJ's corner lights to also flash with the turn signal.

Back