• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can't figure out what trim level my XJ is...

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
so i have looked and found that there was the Sport, Limited, and 60th anniversary edition in '01. on my xj, it has the black fenders and trim, tape player, regular upholstry, the ecco wheels, no power locks or windows, and it has a tow package w/ tranny cooler(not sure if that was a factory option or aftermarket). so is mine the bare bones base model and the person just bought the wheels, or what?

maybe the front end is from a sport, and the rest from a limited one:pPPPP J/K

01_XJ said:
so i have looked and found that there was the Sport, Limited, and 60th anniversary edition in '01.

There was also base (aka SE) and Classic. 60th Anniversary was an option package, but apart from the little badges on the fenders I'm not really sure what else it gave you.

on my xj, it has the black fenders and trim, tape player, regular upholstry, the ecco wheels, no power locks or windows, and it has a tow package w/ tranny cooler(not sure if that was a factory option or aftermarket). so is mine the bare bones base model and the person just bought the wheels, or what?

Sounds like a base model or possibly an unoptioned Sport. Bear in mind that you could mix & match most options across the range, but from the way you're describing it it sounds like it falls into one of those two categories. I'm guessing that the tow package may be factory-original; check the rating sticker on the tow bar to see if it's Chrysler or aftermarket. If it's aftermarket, count yourself lucky that the previous owner saw fit to include a tranny cooler as well.

FWIW, my last XJ was an '01 Sport with the 60th Anniversary Package. It had alloys, power locks, windows, and mirrors, remote locking, and a tape deck with standard 4-speaker sound. No cruise, fogs, leather, power seats, tow package, Up-Country, or overhead console. I6, NP231, D35. It's possible that the 60th package may have thrown in some of the power toys.

Easy way to check this: go to your local Jeep dealer with your VIN and ask them to pull a VIP report. Explain that you want both the build sheet and maintenance/recall history. This'll give you both the spec it was built to as well as any work that's been performed under warranty or for recalls.

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
I am pretty sure that they dropped the SE and Classic trim levels for '01.

That's what I thought too. But his sure sounds like a SE.

Lawn Cher' said:
That's what I thought too. But his sure sounds like a SE.

Hm. Not sure about that, but I can attest to having driven a 2001 Classic before I bought the current XJ. Could've been late-sale 2000 stock that got registered as a 2001, though. Didn't buy it so don't know specifics, but it was definitely an '01.

I wonder if the SE trim level was retained for fleet-only sales in 2001 - the gubmint tends to like their vehicles as basic as possible. Still, that kinda makes me wonder about the 60th Anniversary badging - if it was an option group and not just badges, it sure sounds like they forgot to install a bunch of stuff. Of course, you can buy the badges aftermarket, so it's entirely possible someone just stuck them on there - maybe even the dealer, or someone drunk on the line at final assembly.

01_XJ: Just out of curiosity, do you have full instruments or idiot lights only? I've never seen an idiot light instrument cluster on a 2000 or 2001 so have no idea if it even exists, but would be interested to know regardless.

Last edited:
are you sure it's a 2001?

anyhow, check out http://www.carfax.com/cfm/general_check.cfm

put in your VIN, and it'll show you the basic info for free. here's mine... of course, now I'm curious about what those 6 records are :-D
VIN 1J4FF48SX1L587520
Year/Make/Model: 2001 JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT
Body Style: 4 DR. WAGON/SPORT UTILITY
Engine Type: 4.0L L6 HO MPI
Manufactured In: UNITED STATES
Search Results: 6 records found in our database

I think in 2001, only Sports and Limiteds were offered. That one may have been ordered without the normal Sport options like pwr windows, locks, etc, but it is probably still a Sport which would explain the wheels.

yea i forgot to add that it does have power mirrors and cruise control. and as far as instrument cluster, it just has speedo and gas guage, the rest is just warning lights. the cluster is one thing that i really hate about it, i hate not being able to know whats going on until something F's up.

01_XJ said:
yea i forgot to add that it does have power mirrors and cruise control. and as far as instrument cluster, it just has speedo and gas guage, the rest is just warning lights. the cluster is one thing that i really hate about it, i hate not being able to know whats going on until something F's up.

OK. Sounds like a base model (in this case, either SE or Sport) with a couple of options. Strange that someone would order power mirrors and cruise but not power windows. Can you get a photo of the instrument cluster? I'm curious to know what it looks like.

Does it have the 'Sport' graphic on the door next to the Cherokee badge?

casm said:
OK. Sounds like a base model (in this case, either SE or Sport) with a couple of options. Strange that someone would order power mirrors and cruise but not power windows. Can you get a photo of the instrument cluster? I'm curious to know what it looks like.

Does it have the 'Sport' graphic on the door next to the Cherokee badge?
no, doesn't have the sport badge, thats why i didn't know. plus all the sports i've seen have the color-matched trim

2001s did not have a Sport graphic. I think those were only used from the factory in 97 & 98. I have a 2000 Sport and it never had Sport stickers either. Looking at the various used car web sites, for 2001 they show only Sport and Limited trim levels available. So, it looks like somebody ordered a stripped down Sport. Someone else suggested fleet or government application... but who knows?

00xjsebb said:
2001s did not have a Sport graphic. I think those were only used from the factory in 97 & 98. I have a 2000 Sport and it never had Sport stickers either.

My '01 had them.

01_XJ said:
no, doesn't have the sport badge, thats why i didn't know. plus all the sports i've seen have the color-matched trim

All of the Sports have black trim (bumper caps and side moldings). In 97 and 98 the fender flares were black plastic. I think in 99, they changed the fender flares to body color, but the other trim remained black textured plastic. The Classics and Limiteds are the only ones with body-colored trim. I can't remember the last year for the Country edition, but they would have been trimmed like the Limited.

do you mean no graphic of any kind, or no sticker. my 2001 has the badge next to Cherokee.

Last edited:
whatevah said:
do you mean no graphic of any kind, or no sticker. my 2001 has the badge next to Cherokee.
IMG_2072.jpg

Similar placement but it was a sticker, not a badge.

casm said:
Similar placement but it was a sticker, not a badge.
never seen that before... interesting.

00xjsebb said:
2001s did not have a Sport graphic.
Oops! :eek: Yeah, my 00 has those. For some reason, I started thinking about the old 97-98 Sport decals (the big red and blue ones). The badges are so subtle that I forgot they were there.

The SE model did not come with the black plastic door moldings while the Sport model did.
01_XJ, if your Jeep has the trim, it's a Sport model.

Back