• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Feeler... 9" third member

Clean Racing

NAXJA Forum User
Ok as some of you know by now... I have removed the third member from my 9" and installed a new aluminum one... The old or existing for that matter is less than 6 months old..

Strange Nodular housing with 3.062" bearings, Detroit locker (unruly on street), Pro Gear 4.88:1 ratio, timken bearings, 1310 yoke, and stock for pinion support..

Ok now for the details... the pinion bearings make noise due to breaking in the gears my drive shaft was too short and loaded the inner bearing. The locker for some reason never unlocked in a turn, hence the click click bang of a detroit.. I have comptemplated parting this out on ebay since Summit Racing will not warranty the detroit for me...

If interested I have a ford daytona steel pinion support and a aluminum daytona pinion support as well. Another set of Richmond pro gear 4.88's and all timken bearing master kit too... I am going to a TRUE HI-9 set up mid spring... Make me an offer on the whole shooting match or just parts you want...

Scott.

Clean-RC said:
Ok as some of you know by now... I have removed the third member from my 9" and installed a new aluminum one... The old or existing for that matter is less than 6 months old..

Strange Nodular housing with 3.062" bearings, Detroit locker (unruly on street), Pro Gear 4.88:1 ratio, timken bearings, 1310 yoke, and stock for pinion support..

Ok now for the details... the pinion bearings make noise due to breaking in the gears my drive shaft was too short and loaded the inner bearing. The locker for some reason never unlocked in a turn, hence the click click bang of a detroit.. I have comptemplated parting this out on ebay since Summit Racing will not warranty the detroit for me...

If interested I have a ford daytona steel pinion support and a aluminum daytona pinion support as well. Another set of Richmond pro gear 4.88's and all timken bearing master kit too... I am going to a TRUE HI-9 set up mid spring... Make me an offer on the whole shooting match or just parts you want...

Scott.

I think avery is interested in the detroit. He's checking to see that it will work in his application and will contact you soon. ;)

I'm interested, but if Avery wants the detroit...

I'm more interested in the 4.88's than anything. Maybe the nodular housing, and daytona support too. But definately the 4.88s

I take it you bought the Proto-type huh? IIRC, 35 spline w/arb?

Just being nosey is all. :laugh3:

31 spline?

I am tempted on the gears and locker but don't wait for me.

I'm still working on my application.

Last edited:
Clean-RC said:

Scott.

I know the 16 pounds of the AL thrid is alluring, but do you really want to run it into a rock at speed ? Save that 100.00 on the housing and put it into
the 35 spline axle's you should get. I know your downsizing the rig, but the resale one day would be much better.

David Taylor said:
I know the 16 pounds of the AL thrid is alluring, but do you really want to run it into a rock at speed ? Save that 100.00 on the housing and put it into
the 35 spline axle's you should get. I know your downsizing the rig, but the resale one day would be much better.

I have the alum third in there now with 410's and a true trac.. The hi-9 that I am getting is steel with an arb...ratio undetermined yet.. I would never go 35 spline... don't need it for the wheeling I am planning on... Im sorry but I don't subscribe to the currie logic... I am used to full floater 9" axles in dirt cars that race week in and out with 31 spline shafts that are gun drilled...

man

your front and rear gears are what i need...

how much for a package - front hp44 4.88's and this 3rd with the richmond gears, master install kit, and daytona?

maybe after christmas ill have more $$$...

-Opie

XJ_ranger said:
man

your front and rear gears are what i need...

how much for a package - front hp44 4.88's and this 3rd with the richmond gears, master install kit, and daytona?

maybe after christmas ill have more $$$...

-Opie

I don't want to sound rude or anything but if you thought that 110 for new 44hp gears was too much... might as well forget asking about a third member that cost me 1400 bucks to build originally... but if your serious I am entertaining offers...

Scott.

Clean-RC said:
I don't want to sound rude or anything but if you thought that 110 for new 44hp gears was too much... might as well forget asking about a third member that cost me 1400 bucks to build originally... but if your serious I am entertaining offers...

Scott.

i found that new hp44 gears were 120.00 and if i ordered them from a company than i would get a waranty - and for a savings of $10.00 it wasnt a rediculus deal that i had to have - mostly because i didnt have a solution for the back and didnt want to have mixed matched gear ratios again...

i didnt know there was a rear end involved too...

hmmm...

when i get home (im at an airport right now) ill figure out my finances and shoot you a PM.

sorry if i ofended you...

Sorry Scott but I am no longer interested. I went to a Dana 60.

BUMP

Back