• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water in glove box......

have you any white fogging around the edges of the screen??? if so thts moisture getting between the laminates and parting the bonding between the frame and screen. so its time for a rebond and prob screen as well

ukjeeper said:
have you any white fogging around the edges of the screen??? if so thts moisture getting between the laminates and parting the bonding between the frame and screen. so its time for a rebond and prob screen as well
Screen= windshield

peeon_roads.jpg

I had a leaky windshield when I bought my rig. 99% of shops would only put a new seal in if they were changing the glass. Thats an expensive fix.

I used clear silisone on the outside, let it cure for a full day. The next rain that came it leaked just the same. Dratz! I used a generous amount and did a great job, for nothing.

I then dropped the sun visors and anything that was in the way of dropping the front of the headliner far enough to get silicone on the INSIDE. Fixed! No more leaks.

If yours is leaking at the bottom, which it sounds like, you would really need to pull the windshield, remove all the old gasket, put new gasket in and reseat the windshield. Thats gonna be your best bet for a proper fix.

Good luck,
Andrew

Not with water in the glove box, I dont think it sits high enough to do that, but the bottom lip of the windshield is at the right level.

Also, he never mentioned smelling antifreez. If the HC is leaking, its a STRONG oder you would just HAVE to mention in the post.

Andrew

I had a website in my favorites about that, its old and doesnt exist anymore though. If I remember right, its in newer xj's, water would enter the vents and drip down the ducts and come out somewhere. The web page had a full write up with pics of how to get to where the flaw is. It was pretty involved, had to COMPLETLY remove the dash and everything to get to it. I just put a small towel in my glovebox to absorb it if I know its gonna rain. And I dont mind a little water on my rubber floor mats, it just puddles there.

Thanks guys! No anti-freeze smell, you're right, I'd have mentioned that. I'm thinking windshield gasket. Only happens after a HEAVY rain.

well, because you say it is in the glove box, this probably is not the case...but I had a ton of water getting in my passenger floor board after any rain, light ot heavy....

turned out to be the radio antenna rubber gromet was popped out of its hole under the side kick panel. The rain would just run right down the cable and drop into the carpet...took me forever to find this

Back