• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tow dolly

I flat towed one on 32's behind a MJ longbed. It was the dumbest thing I've ever done repeatedly. If you can find a tow dolly with brakes you are ahead of the game, although a trailer pulled behind a full size tow rig is better. Night and day difference between my earlier bonehead maneuvers and what I currently use, a '97 3/4 ton turbodiesel Suburban with a 7k lb rated trailer, brakes on both axles.

Yes, trips less than 80 miles on q78's ( ~35.5) and my long distance rollers are 33's. As far as the dolly is concerned the main issue is safely and properly secureing the tires to the dolly. I always pull the rear drive shaft to tow it and put a spare yoke in the tcase to retain all the fluid. I also load the front suspension to eliminate sway due to swaybars being MIA. I have a spooled rear, and no brakes on the dolly so it's less than ideal, but the 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 truck it tows fine, backing up is not an option. With anything less than a 3/4 ton truck I would want brakes on the dolly for any trips beyond just around town.

I'd rather have a full trailer, however storage space only allows for a dolly at the present.

I've flat-towed my YJ with 32" and 33" tires with no problems at all. Just be sure to pull the rear driveshaft, you can tie it up out of the way leaving the slipyoke in the TC. Make sure the straps to secure the front tires are long enough, most aren't.

Yea, we towed my xj with 32's and we ended up having to find some stock rims and tires to get it to fit on the dolly. We took the driveshaft loose to be safe also.

Yep I tried a dolly, it sucked big time. Swayed all over the place. Had to swap out the front tires to stockers so it would get it on the darn thing. But I'm at 7" of lift, 35" IROKS, and welded rear diff. When at 4.5" and 31's it flat towed very nicely. BTW my tow rig is a 3/4ton diesel with a camper on it. Now I have a trailer, MUCH nicer!!!

Yep, after mine removed its own driveshaft (and half the t-case) at 55 mph.

Straps wouldn't go over the 33" tires, so we cinched em down on the axle, between the tire and the spring on each side. Wasn't pretty, but I was had up, and it did work.

Towed just fine with a 1990 F150...

Robert

I towed mine on a dolly with 33" TSLs, and it made it to the destination (~60 miles). That's all the credit I'll give it.

This is what I use now:

towrig2.jpg

and I find this to be much more pleasant than the dolly ever was. (5.9ZJ and tandem axle brakes)

At least I can back up now.

Back