• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fender flare legality question

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
i've been playing with the idea of removing the stock fender flares (95XJ, no lift 235/75/15 on stock wheels) and maybe even opening the wheelwell a little bit. i took the front flares off ones just to see what it would look like. with the plastic flare off you can see the body has like a small "flare or lip" molded into it. I live in milwaukee wisconsin, and i was wondering if it would be legal driving around without the plastic flares on. i do know of the law that states the tire can't stick out past the body/flare more than 2 inches. but as of now i don't have a lift yet and so my tires don't stick out that far even with the flare removed.

does anybody know the exact rules on that or have any ideas or advice for me???

thanks,
alex

scorpio_vette said:
does anybody know the exact rules on that or have any ideas or advice for me???

if you dont need to pull them - dont...

once you do need to pull them, take em off, and leave em off till someone says something...

aparently in Nebraska - you are required to have mudflaps and fender flares...

with vehicles so high off the ground

i have neither, and CA plates and no one has said anything...
got pulled over once and nothing...

You know, I guess I could try to answer your actual question. The law isn't concerned with the plastic flares themselves, as long as the tires are covered by either flares or actual fenders.

I've been reading Wisconsin's Administrative Code, and I can't find the two-inch figure you mentioned

CHAPTER TRANS 305
STANDARDS FOR VEHICLE EQUIPMENT

Subchapter II --Automobile, Motor Homes and Light Trucks
TRANS 305.30 Tires and Rims

(3) The tires on any vehicle required to have fenders may not protrude more than 2 inches beyond the fender line at the highest point of the tire. The measurement shall be from the original fender line of the vehicle as equipped by the original manufacturer.

now everything i read says "fender". i haven't found anything about "fender flares". or would the fender flare be "the original fender line of the vehicle as equipped by the original manufacturer"?? then again, my tires currently sit inside the factory fender flare. i took the flare off and measure the tire and it sat just short of 2 inches outside the fender. so technically by measurement i believe i would be legal. but since i can't find anything on flares, i'm not sure if removing flares is against the law.

Back