• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help!!!! Transmission? i dont know whats goin on

vajeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Well i got up this morning (24 degrees) diddnt have time to run the jeep some so i just got in...started fine but when i putit in reverse it wouldn't go anywhere...it was trying but its like the parking brake was still on...so i let it warm up for a few, still nothing....i was in a hurry so i just kept given it gas till it sounded like it broke free....after that it was fine...anybosy know whats going on???

oh yeah 91 XJ Laredo
3in Rusty's 31 10 50

When it gets cold out, mine shifts late or sometimes refuses to shift. IMO new Dexron helps. I try to change my Dexron every year (you only get a portion of it anyway, without a power flush). When the Dexron gets old it breaks down and some of whats left over is pretty darned thick, feels like varnish. It usually coats the inside of the tranny.
I figure if I change it often, it helps prevent a build up.
Waiting till it builds up and then power flushing is kind of asking for it. The chances of dislodging something and having it cause problems increases.
It could have been your park pin was stuck. I've seen them ding on other types of trannys, when somebody shifted into park before completely stopping, it burrs the end of the pin. The coating of varnish from old Dexron I mentioned, could have also gotten cold, thick and sticky.

If there was any moisture on the rear brake shoes when you stopped last they may have frozen to the drums. Your discription of the parking brake being on is apt.

The front pads can also freeze. So can water sprayed up on other other parts of the undercarrage that doesn't dry off before it freezes. Some situations can be so bad the Jeep won't move until the ice is cleared.

Wet tires frozen to the ground?

Enough wet on the drums will still 'stick' even if the e-brake is off (as it should be)

Trans pump isn't providing enough pressure when cold until the engine was revved.

There's some ideas for ya...

EDIT: Has it happened again?

it didn;t happen again yet...but when i think about it, it happened a long time ago and i ignored it cause it wasn't this bad

Your transmission fluid is low. Fluid movement within the torque converter is what spins the transmission. When the fluid is low, the torque converter doesn't have ample fluid to spin the transmission until the pump can fill it up, causing a jerk, especially with the throttle being revved. Either that or its just old and bad. At any rate check that.

yes i check the brake fluid level...looked good

I also checked transmission fluid and it was low so i topped it off,
its been two days with no problems so far...nock on wood...but i recall the night before it happened i went through a huge water puddle about two blocks from my house then parked it...well my point is it was way below freezing, could the brake drums of froze up?

If your tranny fluid was low, that was most likely your problem. I has a tranny cooler line spring a leak on me, and when it got low, i had the exact same problem. The solution was to add tranny fluid (and fix the busted cooler line).

vajeeper said:
yes i check the brake fluid level...looked good

I also checked transmission fluid and it was low so i topped it off,
its been two days with no problems so far...nock on wood...but i recall the night before it happened i went through a huge water puddle about two blocks from my house then parked it...well my point is it was way below freezing, could the brake drums of froze up?

When you run the Jeep for a while and everything gets hot, go to level ground and recheck your ATF.
I think the only thing wrong with your Jeep is that it was frozen in place, the fluid was cold and showed too low and now it might be too high.

Last edited:
vajeeper said:
but i recall the night before it happened i went through a huge water puddle about two blocks from my house then parked it...well my point is it was way below freezing, could the brake drums of froze up?
Even without putting the e-brake on this could have been a major part of the problem - if the drums and tires were wet they could easily have frozen together. Even a slight freeze could have been enough to give the problem you reported initially.

Back