• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Defroster Problems

TF8

NAXJA Forum User
So i got a new 99' XJ and I'm trying to work out all of the bugs. Current problem:
-No front defroster.
No matter where the switch is I have no front defroster, nothing comes out of the vents. I assume my vacumes are all fine considering cruise control works just dandy. I took the radio out and I'm able to push down the vacume powered flapper to get defrost. Thus I must have a bad vacume switch/actuator, a bad linkage or bad control switch. I have traced the vacume lines from the back of the control switch to under the passenger side dash.
I figured I would ask before I started ripping everything out. Anyone know how to test which of the three units is bad? Also where are the vacume actuators located? Anyone else have this issue and solve it, or does everyone have a ghetto coat hanger to push open the defroster flap? Thanks for the help everyone.

Tyler Forbes

It's been a couple of days with no responses. Anyone ever have this happen regarless or whether or not you fixed it or had it done at the stealership? What did they charge you? Thanks for any help on this one. Is there a chance someone might be able to get me a couple pages out of a factor service manual as mine has not yet arrived? Thanks.

Tyler Forbes

my 94 would only blow air come out of the defrost because the vaccum canister which is located behind the bumper on the passenger side was gone, so check that out and the lines running to it, there 1 big one and 1 little one, I never fixed mine so I don't really know but something else to check out maybe

Yup, you've assumed that the vacuum is fine. I'd recommend following the vacuum line from the bottle under the front bumper and especially the point under the battery as that is the most frequent spot for leaks.

Back