• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE question

BLUTO

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at a SYE down the road and wondered: I've heard that new (OME) lifts often settle 1" over a years time in the rear. Will that throw-off the SYE dynamics? Would I need to get the driveshaft done over? OR Do I get a lift shackle or Add-A-Leaf, to bring it back to original ride height? OR am I needlessly worrying about something that doesn't matter? ;)

BLUTO :)

Shouldn't matter, but where did you hear that OMEs settle an inch? I've heard that about Rusty's, RE, and some other companies' springs, but I've never heard that about OME.

I re-read Berkeley Johnston write-up about doing the OME add-a-leaf (JeepWire.com -project skymiles) and I deduct that maybe he may of overloaded his suspension. His wording made it sound like "it drooped, THEN I added the extra weight" .....that is why he went to the add-a-leafs.
I also read in one or two other threads about rear end sagging or "settling" after about a year.
But I'm going to be the optomist and go with your words of encouragement :D
You figure, if you're spending ~$900 shipped for an OME med-duty suspension....it should last a little while before getting saggy on you :rolleyes:

Good - so what happens to the guys who don't buy the "good" suspension, put on a SYE,....then a year later - they drop an inch in the rear? Does it mess-up the new driveshaft or throw the pinion angles off, since there is no slip yoke to take-up the difference?
inquireing minds want to know ;)

When you do an SYE kit your new driveshaft has the slip-yoke in it!

RCP brings up a valid point...the slip yoke is still there. Perhaps they should be renamed Slip Yoke Relocators ;)

Minor correction to RCP Phx and Ivan -- the slip is there, but it's not a slip "yoke." It's a slip joint, exactly the same arrangement as the stock front driveshaft on an XJ.

While it is technically correct to call the kits SYEs, since they do eliminate the slip yoke, the more correct term (which has been mentioned in the past around here, but not recently) would be "short shaft conversion kit."

This "is" a slip yoke!

404-31sy.gif
http://rockforddriveline.com/1210pg2.htm

Last edited:
IF it does drop, I really feel that 1" is extremely negligable and would never even be noticed (as far as driveshafts and angles are concerned). If that much sag in the rear causes a problem with your driveshaft length or joint angles... you're probably going to tear the T-case, or something, out of the jeep the first time you hit a speed bump and compress your suspension a few inches. It won't matter.

marcus

Thanks guys for all your input! :thumbup: I will start putting away some $$$ for this future mod. I didn't know, until now that there was still some sort of "slip joint" in the shaft after doing a SYE.

I havent seen anything about your year, but do yourself a favor and save up for an HD kit.It will be about a 100$ more but youll never look back!

I have a 2000 XJ Limited, AW4, 242, D35 rr, D30 fr, 3" OME med duty, all factory skids, 31 x 10.5 x 15 (30" tall - ProComp's :rolleyes: )
What comprises a Heavy Duty SYE? I didn't know they made different grades,...other than Hack-n-Tap.

Sorry to say,but they dont make any HD kits for the 242.

chassellbandit said:
one correction, if its a 2000, u more than likely have a cryco 8.25 in the rear, not a D35.

My factory build sheet shows a D35C, I guess the "C" stands for C-clip? Otherwise, I haven't really got too involved with identifying my front and rear "pigs" yet.

You could get a D35c with ABS in late model XJ's, my wife's '01 has one.

As far as different grades of SYE's go, there is the hack & tap method, the replacement modified stock shaft method, and the replacement heavy duty shaft design.

chassellbandit said:
one correction, if its a 2000, u more than likely have a cryco 8.25 in the rear, not a D35.

In 2000 (and other recent years) DaimlerChrysler used the Dana 35 with ABS-equipped XJs, and the Mopar 8.25 on the XJs with no ABS. Since ABS was fairly common by 2000, I'd venture a guess that it's more likely to be a Dana 35 axle in a 2000 than an 8.25. When I ordered a 2000 I had to argue with the dealer to get it without ABS -- they were pushing it hard, and they automatically put it on all the vehicles they ordered for stock.

Tom Woods makes custom driveshafts, and sells a kit with a new yoke....a SYE. His shafts are great, and the conversion is not very hard. Just get a very large pair of snap ring pliers.
He also takes off 25$ if you are a NAXJA member, so joining NAXJA becomes almost free.

Just know your axel and transfercase model, and the distance from the rear of the bell housing to the center of the rear joint.
mine was 35 & 7/8 inches.

i am not affiliated with them, but I will recommend him to anyone.

Eagle said:
In 2000 (and other recent years) DaimlerChrysler used the Dana 35 with ABS-equipped XJs, and the Mopar 8.25 on the XJs with no ABS. Since ABS was fairly common by 2000, I'd venture a guess that it's more likely to be a Dana 35 axle in a 2000 than an 8.25. When I ordered a 2000 I had to argue with the dealer to get it without ABS -- they were pushing it hard, and they automatically put it on all the vehicles they ordered for stock.

TRUE, I have 4-wheel ABS. I bought the vehicle used as a lease turn-in (pristine condition). It was NEVER off-road....except maybe by accident :D . If I were to have ordered it new, I would of made a few changes myself ;) .

Back