• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Shocks?

89BlackXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have recently ordered a rusty's 4.5" lift kit and it cam ewith the "Rusty's" shocks. Are these a different brand of shocks sold through rusty's or does rusty's themself have their own shocks...wither way hw do these shocks measure up to the competition and how much will it improve my ride over stock?

89BlackXJ said:
I have recently ordered a rusty's 4.5" lift kit and it cam ewith the "Rusty's" shocks. Are these a different brand of shocks sold through rusty's or does rusty's themself have their own shocks...wither way hw do these shocks measure up to the competition and how much will it improve my ride over stock?

If you wanted an improved ride and a lift, you should have ordered OME. $$$$

Search Noob.

Haleyes said:
If you wanted an improved ride and a lift, you should have ordered OME. $$$$

Search Noob.

Not everyone has that type of money.

The shocks that come in the Rusty's kit are not made by them. They are actually the same shocks that come in the rough country kits. Very low end shocks. Rusty's kits have treated me and everyone i know well. Flex is great, and with new shocks the ride won't be too bad either.

Ride will be stiff at first but settle out after a few trail rides and some good miles. It just takes time getting used to a lifted jeep's ride. I have rusty's 4.5 lift and love it. Great flex for the price. The rear end may ride a bit higher than the front at first. If it doesn't settle out, just get a 1"poly spacer to even it out.

And rather than yelling "Search Noob" like most guys on this forum, i'll say Welcome Noob!! Have fun with your rig and feel free to ask any questions!

Chris

I run the rustys 6.5 short arm with the shocks and have no probs,if these shocks leak,break,etc I will replace them with the same thing.

i also have the rusty's 4.5 lift. it sure does ride like a lifted truck, but i only have about 2000 miles on it since i put everything on. the shocks are good but you just have to remember that you are driving a lifted jeep with brand new leaf packs. so it will be stiff for a long time. my buddy had the same lift and he took out the helper leaf and drove it around for a month and then put the leaf back in and it rode very nice. the shocks arnt really the issue as the firm coils and leafs. but you cant beat rusty's prices.

He uses DT3000s good shocks, but thats one of the only "good" and "Rustys" you'll get from me.

I had the rustys shocks on my 3" lift and was impressed by them. Got a new set with my 6.5" longarm and love them. I went with the 8" size for more travel. Couldent be more happy with the price or performance.

i had a rusty's 4.5" on my 93 4.0 cherry and thought it rode well.... its just a shame most of his brackets dont fit RHD xj's. my current 86 2.8 left hooker runs a 7" BDS/ hybrid / longarm setup, the BDS shocks are sooooooo much better than rusty's but they are dearer.

anyway hello from another nooooob (on this forum):wave:

I'm perfectly happy with the shocks that came with my 4.5" kit, and could not justify spending the insane amounts of money that some of these company's charge for shocks.

AZ XJ said:
I'm perfectly happy with the shocks that came with my 4.5" kit, and could not justify spending the insane amounts of money that some of these company's charge for shocks.
Well, have you used any of those shocks? I went from a procomp shock, to some bilsteins, and the difference was night and day. Yea, they were more than twice the cost of Rusty's shocks, but they were totally worth it.

The only other shocks I've personally used on my own Jeep are Rancho 5 way adjustables, and while they were nice, I don't think they were worth the signifigantly extra cost. But I used them on a 79 Bronco that I had and the difference was night and day. My experince is that it makes more of a difference the heavier the rig is. It's also kind of a personal thing though, while I think my jeep rides great, some might think that it's too hard/soft.

Back