• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP D44 build up prices YIKES!!

onetallmj

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the planning/pricing stage to build a front HP Dana 44 axle.
Got some quotes on gears/locker/u-joints/shafts and WOW its gonna cost some moooolah:
these are initial prices and I'm sure I can find some lower but not too much lower:
Arb locker $730
CTM ujoints -$180 each
superior inner shafts - about 200 each
gears(4.88) and install kit - $300
so your talking $1600 -$1800 for a heavy duty axle ( minus the actual housing cost) without outers yet( or a decent cover), or labor to put it in, or any sort of brackets for a lift.
So it you figure in outers( knuckles/high steer arms, hubs, rotors calipers, spindles, pads, lock outs etc.) and steering stuff ( tie rod, joints etc.) and brackets for a long arm suspension, it looks like $3000 without labor!!

that is all!

of course its gonna be expsensive when you buy the best of everything, my hp44 swap will cost half that. fyi longfield d44 joints are 300m and come with a lifetime garuntee for 135$ each, nothing better then a ctm but why pay 140$ extra when longfield will replace them if you ever happen to break one. youll break the ears off the shafts before that 300m joint goes.

Who said that building up a HP44 with all the good stuff was cheap? I'm doing the same thing right now with an axle from a '76 F150 that cost $100, plus $100 for the 9" rear. The only things that are being reused on the 44 are the housing, knuckles (no high steer), and caliper brackets. For the rear its only the housing and the backing plates. Have you seen what it costs to have Currie or Dynatrac make that same axle you are building.

Control arm mounts will be combination of RE uppers and box tubing and plate for the rest. Track bar mount may or may not be JKS, haven't decided at this point.

You are paying way to much for gears and install kit. Try looking around, I paid the below from CompleteOffRoad.

Master Kit: $74
5.13 Yukons: $117

Happy hunting.

Greg

my plan is a HP 44 shortened to waggy width....

i think learning out to weld and getting a welder should come first though

hey chris, buy the welder and ill do it for ya :p

i shoved a 44 under my jeep for about $100, fabbed all the mounts, welded it on, welded the spiders, done and done :)

yeah, it defiantly aint cheap.
Try pricing this axle out.
HP D44 Waggy width
All new Bracketry
new ball joints
Crane High steer knuckles
Chevy brakes with ford rotors and hubs
Modified TB bracket for high steer correction
Tie rod and drag link
33 spline ARB
33 spline inner shafts
Yukon Super Joints
CrMo outers
Warn hubs
Crane cover
whole axle built from scratch

It has to be ready to run in a TJ in Poland!
No it is not a cheap axle to build. even if you do all the work yourself.

I'm in my HP D44 like $3,200 INCLUDING steering.

Housing, narrowed to stock width +1", retubed. Chevy flat top knuckles, drilled/tapped for hi-steer. 4.88's, detroit, alloy shafts, good joints, poison spyder hi-steer arm, .250 wall DOM steering, 1 ton dodge/chevy tie rods, RE bracket kit, all BRAND NEW calipers, hubs, spindles, rotors, etc.

John

onetallmj said:
CTM ujoints -$180 each

Daily driver or trail only?

Rawbrown said:
How about gears and locker?

they arent there because i havent done them yet...

my 1200 figure is for a running, driving, painted and installed front axle with all new components (except gears and shafts)

its porbably got another 1200 for gears, locker, u-joints, and shafts...

Now figure the labor into that...
Avanteone said:
I'm in my HP D44 like $3,200 INCLUDING steering.

Housing, narrowed to stock width +1", retubed. Chevy flat top knuckles, drilled/tapped for hi-steer. 4.88's, detroit, alloy shafts, good joints, poison spyder hi-steer arm, .250 wall DOM steering, 1 ton dodge/chevy tie rods, RE bracket kit, all BRAND NEW calipers, hubs, spindles, rotors, etc.

John

You all are making me think about selling my newly aquired hp 44 and 9" rear..... But a guy down the street can get all the gears and axles at cost for me so that will help?

BRIANHO13 said:
But a guy down the street can get all the gears and axles at cost for me so that will help?

nope

makes it more expensive.... :laugh3:

in all honesty - taking a 30 year old alxe out of a parts yard and making it run again is expensive to do right...

Wheel bearings probably dont "need" to be purchased, new hubs arent "required", new ball joints arent "required" but little things like that make a big difference in the cost... i spent almost 100 on ball joints...

IntrepidXJ said:
maybe i'll sit on my d44 project for another year now :laugh3:

He11 I havn't broke anything on my d30 or 8.25 why am I even thinking about swapping, I know its just a matter of time running 35's (but im not easy on it)? I am running warn inners and the rear is a 29 spline. I might just see what Somone might be willing to offer me for the other axles, and build a roll cage.

Last edited:
Then that just saves you some $$$ at that point, but your still spending coin.
BRIANHO13 said:
You all are making me think about selling my newly aquired hp 44 and 9" rear..... But a guy down the street can get all the gears and axles at cost for me so that will help?

Back