• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running lean, please help.

JFernalld

NAXJA Forum User
Well Ive got a 97 cherokee 4.0 with 140k miles. Just today it started sputtering, hesitating and idling like crap, doesnt do it all the time though, sometimes its fine. The check engine light came on so i got the code pulled. It was code PO171 (A lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich correction factor. Bank 1) It started about 30 miles after I filled my tank from pretty much empty. It was a pretty small gas station but they were busy. Could this be water in the gas? Its been fairly cold here lately, in the teens. What else could cause this. I really hope its not a fuel filter cause its too cold to drop the gas tank. Any help or suggestions would be great. Can't get stranded, roomates gone for 3 weeks and its my only way to school/work.

Thanx alot

FYI

Fuel filter is not in the tank. The pump in the tank has a strainer on it, which usually takes 20-30 years to plug up. The filter is under the Jeep and accessable without dropping the tank.

Can't really speak to the '97-98 Cherokees, but doesn't seem realistic that the main fuel filter would be buried inside the tank. Looked at the write-up you referenced, and it appeared the filters you are referring to are "prefilters"--implying they remove the "big chunks". I'd check the fuel line coming from the tank, going to the engine for a second, removable filter.
Better yet, put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail and insure correct fuel pressure.
If your going to maintain your Jeep yourself, I'd highly recommend at least a Chilton or Haynes service manual. The kinds of things your asking about here are covered in those after-market type service manuals.

JohnX said:
Fuel filter is not in the tank. The pump in the tank has a strainer on it, which usually takes 20-30 years to plug up. The filter is under the Jeep and accessable without dropping the tank.
That's only the case up until 1996. With the change to a plastic tank in '97 the filter was put into the tank...

Back