• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My XJ died on the way home last night

skierbri10

NAXJA Forum User
So there was this huge traffic jam, I was moving at about 1/4 mile an hour and runnining hot after about 2 hours of that realized I was running low on gas. So I turn around and get to the nearest gas station. Put $10 in and get in the XJ and turn the key. turn turn cough catch for a second turn turn....that went on for awhile. I had the hood opened and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Turn the key and tun turn fire start. I was happy and went to go sit in traffic for some more abuse. I was in traffic for about another 30 minutes and it died on the road. I pushed it to the side and couldn't get it started. I didn't pop the hood and just called a tow truck since the traffic was still crappy. I get home and researched the crap out of this symtom on here and found that maybe the CPS connector could be at fault when the engine heats up. The CPS and TPS are 1 year old. Today I wake up and go to see if it fires up and it runs perfect. I know what it is like to start losing a CPS and this isn't it. Could the CPS connector cause this or is there another underlying problem I haven't found yet?
Any other ideas?
I am afraid of driving the XJ too far from my house, and needing another tow. It is my DD but I can get by for a few days without it. Thanks

Your gas might have been contaminated with water or other impurities. After leaving the Jeep alone overnight, the contaminants settled to the bottom of the tank and your engine started fine.
If your engine begins to run poorly after you've driven off, it's probably because you've stirred up the contaminants in the gas tank again.

Back