• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 Question

WhiteRaider

NAXJA Forum User
I'm doing an engine swap and will be using an AX15. There is an AX15 in a pull-it boneyard that I can get for $80.00 including the core deposit. However, the vehicle has 250K miles on the odomenter.

There are a couple of fairly low mileage (100K range) that I can get out of state for around $250 + shipping.

Since I really don't know what I'm getting in any used xmission, I'm leaning towards pulling the local boneyard unit and installing it. If it doesn't work right, I could purchase one of the rebuilt units and use it as a core or just rebuild it myself.

What would you guys do, risk the high mileage boneyard unit or spend an extra couple hundred bucks on one of the lower mileage units?

I myself do not like to gamble with engines,trans,or transfer cases...well a transfer case is relatively easier to replace than the other two,so I might take a chance on a used t-case.

I like to have piece of mind after I install something,so instead of going the bone yard trans route I got mine from man-trans.com.I got a warranty and a fully rebuilt,dyno tested trans.although,it cost a pretty penny more than a used one.....but I sleep better at night.

The point is if your on a tight budget slap that $ 80 wonder in and pray,which B.T.W that is CHEAP for a ax15.

I would atleast,however,open the case up and look for anything nasty before putting it in.New seals never hurts either.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree with you about the longevity. In this instance, however, I'm willing to give a little bit on the transmission. Since I'm doing a complete drivetrain swap, there are going to be lots of misc. costs that add up across the board - driveshafts, clutch, master/slave cylinders, engine computer, wiring, etc. I'd rather save a lot on the transmission now. My engine and transfer case are both low mileage pulls so the tranny will be the question mark.

By going with the high mileage junkyard unit, I may get lucky. If it is screwy, I can always use it as a core for a rebuilt unit or even rebuild it myself. Even if it works OK, I'll probably replace it fairly soon and keep it in storage as a spare.

Who knows, it may have been rebuilt at some point in it's life or it may still work good. I figure it's only a little more risk than one of the lower mileage units that I have to get shipped since you never know what you're getting from an auto wrecker.

I have friends with 320k+ on AX-15 transmissions that have never been rebuilt. My XJ's only got 190k and the only problems I've ever had with the tranny have been 2nd gear when cold and the reverse grind. If it was an auto with 250k then I'd be weary but that's just my 2 cents

Back