• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

problem with front end

red90xj

NAXJA Forum User
hello im new here im just learning how to use this forum so if thers anything im doing wrong just let me know.

anyways i have a front end problem. it seems to be making a strange sound whenever i roll forward in drive. however while this is happening my foot is not on the gas or the brake i am just coasting... and then it stops when the jeep stops. the best way i can describe the sound is.. its like driving on fresh snow kind of a dry sound comming from the front wheels. my jeep is completely stock no mods what so ever "yet" and this seems to be the first problem ive had.being as i havent even takken it offroad yet i cant see it being anything to do with driveshafts etc. maybe a wheel alighnment? could this be caused by having the jeep in 4wd hi and cranking the wheel either direction and moving around slowly on gravel?. any comments/suggestions would be helpful thanks.

as much as im having trouble understanding what ur saying. check the u joints in the axle for play. make sure u have dif fluid, maybe grease up all the zerk fittings in the front end. check and make sure everything is tight. make sure u have dif fluid.

ah ok sounds like that might be a good idea. yea sorry bout being a little sloppy... beginner thing you know? haha. there are no leaks under the jeep what so ever... but it is going to be takken into the shop and have a full tune up. some friends of mine at the local high school can do everything for only the cost of fluids and materials. ill run it past them to check the diff fluids thanks alot anyone else got any suggestions?

it is a little strange i must say.. i dont even drive it yet. i bought it from this young couple here in bc. my dad drove it home for me and since then its prolly been around the block about 6 times. ( not in 4wd) i did just notice this problem about 2 days ago while i was rolling around my front yard making sure the the t-case was flushing fluid thru in 4HI and 4LO. basiclly after i put it back in 2wd it started making this noise. also i just figured it tell you is that about 2-3 months ago i got underneath it and powerwashed everything. any chance i could have washed away some very important needed grease? it surley has not been driven around the block without any grease. i will definetly be buying a tube of grease today. anywhere specificly where i should work on?

check and make sure ur disengaged from 4wd, pull ur vac housing off its 4 bolts. its on the pasenger side of the front axle, jack the right wheel up so it wont leak fluid. pull the vac hosuing off, there is a shift collar that will connect the 2 shafts. ifthe shafts are connected theres your problem. also checking ur hubs, i just replaced my hubs. its really not that bad, its just beating them out. with a big fing hammer.

well.. i went outside today fired up the jeep let it warm up for a while... threw it back into 4 HI rolled forward a bit drove around then put it back in 2WD weird noise is gone..
thanks for the tips guys

If the jeep sat around for a long time, it could have been a dragging brake, a piece of rust on the backing plate, or other small problem that has been cured by use. However, just to be sure what's going on, it would be a wise idea to get out the jack, and jack up each of the front wheels (one at a time is fine) and do some checking. First of all, check for play of any kind. Pull on top and bottom to check for looseness in either the wheel bearings or the ball joints. Pull on front and back to check for looseness in steering linkages. Then, rotate the wheel itself, and look for any scraping or roughness that might indicate a bad wheel bearing. Finally, turn the steering wheel to one or the other extreme, and rotate the wheel again. It should not resist turning, or bind, or make noises. If it does, it indicates a bad universal joint. The U-joints are visible inside the open steering knuckle. Watch for them turning when you do this, and you'll understand. If they are badly worn, you will be able to reach in there and feel the play. Before they develop play, though, they may become tight and bind, which is why you need to test by rotating the wheel too.

ah very good idea. just gotta wait for a nice warm day to come along its bloody freezing here. so i sha'll grab the ole jack and check it out . thanks for your help

well boys i went out today jacked up both side one at a time.... and nothing! no play at all. i spun both the wheels around and ther is nothing stopping locking or grinding. just what u would probably usually hear from a spinning wheel on an axle. anyways i think my best bet is to just grease the crap out of everything and drive it down to the school. let my buddys take care of checking everything... they do 59 point inspections there for free :) also they will do an oil change and check my tranny, T-case and diffs also only for the cost of the fluids.. they dont charge labour

Back