• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard start condition

jeepcherokee95

NAXJA Forum User
It has been a long while since I posted here due to some work and family issues so forgive me if this has been done recently.

I have a 95XJ 4.0 AW4; it seemed to start fine until the weather started to get cold and now that it is cold it turns over about 4x's and then acts like it "hits" or falls on its face for a turn or two then tries again and starts on that try.

Basically its: turn, turn, turn, miss - turn, turn, turn, start.

Once it does start there is a rough idle condition (not real bad) for a few minutes until the motor warms up a little and it seems to smooth out some. After it is warmed up it runs just fine until you let it sit for a few hours and then its back to the hard start condition.

The battery is hot and the charging system is working so I don't think that is an issue but don't know where to start looking for possible reasons.

Thanks for your help in advance!

JC95.

I get the same thing when it's 10-15 below out. Almost acts like its flooded. I'd appreciate some thoughts on how to fix this as well.

jeepcherokee95 said:
Sounds logical, will try that this weekend.
Thanks for your reply! Must have been a good question since no one tried an answer.
JC95
I would suggest doing a quick resistance check on the temperature sensors. Here is the table that correlates temperature to resistance: Columns are: 1)deg. F, deg. C, Ohm.

212 100 185
160 70 450
100 38 1,600
70 20 3,400
40 4 7,500
20 -7 13,500
0 -18 25,000
-40 -40 100,700

Back