• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rolling your xj

Beachmonkey6

NAXJA Forum User
What to do if you roll your xj? And the roof, 2 front A-pillars,windshield,2 front doors, front fenders and hood are all screwed... what to do?...if i can get the parts how much do you think install would cost?

Last edited:
Beachmonkey6 said:
What to do if you roll your xj? And the roof, 2 front A-pillars,windshield,2 front doors, front fenders and hood are all screwed... what to do?
You turn it into insurance and buy it back :D What did you roll yours already?

Chop it , Cage it, Wheel the snot out of it. Or find another one and use your rolled one for parts. Not really worth fixing, XJs are everywhere.

I've "flopped" mine twice. Both times I just replaced the doors, fenders, and rear hatch and gently massaged the A and B pillars back to their original positions. It's still my DD, so it can be fixed if the damage isn't too severe. I have too much welded on and time invested in my rig to scrap it for trivial body damage :).

This was the first flop a few years ago.

underside.jpg

Partially fixed with glass replaced

smashedsidefull.jpg

yea thats what i think ive gotta do. just fix it all. The thing is... there is a huge dent in my roof above the driver seat, which caused the windshield to get screwed. Im guessin its pretty hard (expensive for a shop to do)to replace a roof but ive gotta find a way cause it is my DD. And i dont have the funds right now to get a new DD.

Well if you need a new roof or roof skin it would be cheaper to buy another XJ and swap parts.

The book time on a roof skin is about 14 hrs labor plus 5 hours paint. A shop is going to want $50-$75 dollars a labor hour. Your looking at $700-$1050 just to replace to skin plus any structure work and paint on top of that. If you can find a bodyman that does work on the side he probably will only charge $25-$30 per labor hour. Plus door are about 3 labor hours per side, fenders on XJs are about 2 hours per side because of the header and a hood is 1/2 a labor hour. That is a total of 24.5 labor hours of just in body time plus about about 10 hours paint.

Do yourself a favor chop and cage it or buy another xj

By the way this is only what my 10 years experience as a bodyman, tells me so don't take it as fact but as my opinion.

Hans

Rolled my DD once real hard. caved in back to the b-pillar. I cut and welded a new top / a pillar back on. as for the fenders who cares.

Crushing the top and pillars is NOT trivial. Those are the parts that keep that XJ box together. If you are good at welding you might be able to get a donor top and reweld, but as mentioned, you're better off doing a roll cage and leaving it for wheeling. Get yourself another cheap XJ for a DD. Be smart, not another statistic.

OK your asking this because you got a quote to fix it and your lookiing for a backneck way of fixing it.. Am I right.. it will still be cheaper to just chop it and cage it unless you are a "TRUE BODY MAN" and can do it your self.. Second if its been rolled then more than likley it will have a bent Unibody..

XTrmXJ said:
Second if its been rolled then more than likley it will have a bent Unibody..

bending any part of the body bend the uni-body...

my unibody is bent after sliding into a tree...

does this mean i should loose the roof and cage it? nope...

Would it be cheaper to find a new body and put my engine and suspention into that body cause my engine is runnin strong and i dont wanna have to start over with a new diff. engine.

Beachmonkey6 said:
Would it be cheaper to find a new body and put my engine and suspention into that body cause my engine is runnin strong and i dont wanna have to start over with a new diff. engine.

Define cheaper...

I assume you're paying people to do the work? If so, pulling two motors and dropping one in would seem to me to be very expensive. If you're doing the work yourself, you'd be way ahead to just swap your components into another XJ and be done with it. Body work is a pain in the butt without the proper equipment, and even with the right stuff bad damage can end up looking marginal at best.

Got pics of the victim?

Yes, i would be bringing it to a shop and having them do the work. I could probably install the hood, fenders, and doors myself but i would need them to put the roof on cause i dont know how to weld... yet. And ive been lookin but i cant find the "Browse" button on this page so i dont know how to post pics. Let me know how and ill post some.

Just some food for thought.....
Some people in a weird sick way might actually wish to find themselves in a situation like yours so that they could justify caging it up and going to the next level with their rigs. You'd never have to worry about body damage again, and it's just plain cool imo to see a beat trail rig being driven on the street.

I know if i ever rolled mine.. i would definately cage it.. it would justify buying a DD that is a lot better on gas!

I love my DD cherokee, but to be quite honest i try to avoid driving as much as possible on the road.

I plan on installing a interior cage so that in the case of a roll, the body wouldnt be too f'ed up.

see the think is i dont have the money to cage it and buy a new DD. If yall know of a good xj for sale thats in the $1500-2000 please let me know cause i cant seem to find a good one at the moment. (good= healthy engine, not damaged, possible lift.)

Back