• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'IP Speaker' label on an empty connection under my dash...?

citRon

NAXJA Forum User
I was poking around under my dash hooking up my fog lights to the factory switch location, and I saw this -driver's side, on the left-ish of the steering column. It is a little black female plug, on the wire it has a tape label that says 'IP Speaker'. ??

Those are for optional dash tweeter speakers. You should find one on the pass side if you look too. Thats why there are the "grilles" in the lower dash panel by those wires.

Timber said:
I believe IP stood for "Infinity Premium."
Good guess, but my money's on "Instrument Panel" :)

The old Cherokees/Wagoneers with the "premium" Jensen Accusound system have the "IP speaker" label on those connectors, too. I grabbed the tweeters from an '89 Limited at the junkyard... they work, but my Infinity 2-ways drown them out!

I'm gonna try to fit some 3.5" speakers in that spot, eventually. The "IP speaker" wires are just split off the front speaker wires, IIRC, so you should be able to use them for any old speaker, as long as it fits.

Back