• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust down pipe

Ben H

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I was wondering if it would be ok to put a down pipe right after the muffler? Is it legal in California. Does the cab fill with brown death? I put on a zj gas skid and now its rubbing between the skid and leaves, its driving me nuts. Ok to do?

nitrogt101 said:
Just curious if you notice anything different in sound or exhaust fumes in the cabin with it like that yet. Anything?

My friend has a 40 series dumping straight after the muffler. Its loud inside I can tell you that. Not V-8 loud, but annoying loud. Thats just my opinion though.

I already have a 40 series, its got a good sound right now and i could take a little louder but not much, do you know if it is louder than it would be traditional rear exit(my set up right now)?

The reason I'm thinking about doing this is to get the tail pipe out of the way, I hit that thing on everything. hasta

nitrogt101 said:
I already have a 40 series, its got a good sound right now and i could take a little louder but not much, do you know if it is louder than it would be traditional rear exit(my set up right now)?

The reason I'm thinking about doing this is to get the tail pipe out of the way, I hit that thing on everything. hasta

Yea, I believe it is louder. I think it personally sounds better with the pipe too. But I mean, if its in the way....get it out of there!

I've had mine that way for 2 yrs. It has a beat up stock muffler on it. Not much louder & no fumes or smell in the cab. JIM.

I ended up cutting it at the other side of the arch after it comes over the axle. made a brace and attatched it to the frame rail. The exhaust blows down right before the leaf spring. It is a tiny bit more throaty, but not loud enough to regret that clunkity clunk clunk. No scent in the cab, but if you see a black xj on the side of hwy 41 this weekend stop and make sure that I havent suffocated to death.

no smell, but defiantly louder. Thinking of adding some of the sticky sound dampener. But the tires are still louder than the exhaust on the highway. But it sounds like a warn out v-8 exhaust. But I have a red hot glass pack and not cat.

Back