• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it possible....

hippymill

NAXJA Forum User
to modify the transmission so that Overdrive is switchable? I have a 95 sprot with the 4-spped overdrive auto tranny. It's annoying on hills, and always kicks down right past 4th to third. Would like to be able to turn off the overdrive when on real hilly roads.

i have a 95 with the 4-speed. i'm assuming that you have it in cruise control when this happens???

that happens to me too. so what i do is right as i'm getting ready to approach a hill that i know it will downshift on, i kill the cruise and take over manually. if you just hold the gas pedal steady without trying to accelerate up the hill and without letting the speed drop, you can make it without downshifting. unless it's really steep and long. then you have to let it downshift.

Wouldn't it just be easiest to just move the shifter into 3rd and leave it there till your out of the hilly sections?
The torque converter will still lockup and it'll stay out of overdrive.

Problem solved.

Nice thought Riley, we were both typin at the same time.

Fergie said:
Find BrettM. I don't know if his controller does that, but it is a good start.

It'll do that. You can keep it in 3rd, you can keep it in OD, 2nd, 1st, whatever. You can lock the torque converter, you can unlock the torque converter. You can even leave it in automatic and it'll shift itself.

I don't have cruise. Just notice that on long hills it will downshift to 3, then up to 4th, back to 3rd, back to 4th, etc... until I'm over the hill. I thought adjusting the Throttle body linkage would help, but it didnt. Maybe I'm not clear about this tranny-Is 4th the overdrive, or is there a 4th gear and an overdrive?

here is the writeup
lockout

did it successfuly on my old RHD 93 xj

edit: woops wrong writeup :wierd: ......... ill look for the other one but this one is good tho

Last edited:
If you do wire up a switch to disable torque converter lockup (which i dont really recomend, i had one and took it out again..).. DO NOT FORGET TO TURN IT OFF.

I drove home from the rubicon with no torque converter lockup to LA earlier this year, as I had some electrical problems that was stoping it from locking. After a couple hundred miles, the transmission started to overheat.. it was not pretty. You can ask kejter or xjohnnyc about it, jonny was behind me and had a nice film of boiling ATF cover his jeep. :0

-C

No offensive but you just need to driver smarter. Say you are going 55 and see a big hill coming. Accelerate up to 65 before you hit the hill. Then by the time you are half way up the hill you will be going 55. Alittle later you will be going 50 and downshift. Bring your speed back to 60-65, allow it to shift into 4th and then crest the hill. I have alot of experience doing this living in NY and traveling the Taconic State Parkway if anyone knows of it. Lots of steep long hills.

The moral, do not try to sustain one speed it is not worth it.

Katarn

Back