• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

General Header Questions

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Okay, so I'm doing a head gasket and as long as I have that header off I'm thinking of replacing it. It's old, stock, and I'm sure cracked (aren't they all) and I certinaly don't want to replace it with a stock one! Anyway...focus...

I'm in need of a good header that has the port for an EGR valve (my XJ is an '89), 4.0 of course.

Borla: Expensive but good..anybody know where I can get one on the cheap?

Any others that are good..maybe even inexpensive?

Thanks
Sequoia

Doesn't 'cheap' used in the same sentence as 'header' scare you just a bit? :)
Dan, tell us about the Banks set-up. They have some strong claims about power increase.....

I have the Borla, nuff said?

I did just put a Banks turbo back exhaust on my buddies F-250, I would say the best system I have ever put on. 1.5 hrs start to finish. Perfect fit, good instructions, excellent quality.

Rev

What do you guys think of this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33632&item=2423461943

:D It was a joke, I assure you (was checking eBay for Borla's and the like) Anyway, when I say cheap I mean good quaility at a good price, $400 + is a lot of money! I won't settle for anything that's not good quality (I never, ever want to have to remove it again, too much of a pain).

Rev, what about the down pipe, did it mate just like stock on the Borla or did you have to get a matching down pipe?

Dan, same question for you with the Banks.

Sequoia

I replaced with a Borla about 15 months ago. (actually a full exhaust)

Truckperformance.com had the best deal at the time (349.00)

It came with the header, S-pipe(downpipe), and hardware. It bolted up beautifully, however be advised that the U-joint will introduce itself to the S-pipe and clearance itself the first nice bump you hit.
(It scared the Bejeesus out of me when it happened)
HTH

John

The banks is a work of art. Fits great, sounds good. I did notice quite a power increase, not so much off idle but from around 2000 rpm and up. I'm not sure how much the header affected the power though because I installed an intake manifold from a 99 and up 4.0 at the same time. I like the combo. Much better than stock. The Banks come some fancy stickers though. Just like the banks power stickers y ou see on the 'super doodie' trucks.

Dan

So I know you ended up going with a Borla... having problems with your downpipe and u-joints?

So I know you ended up going with a Borla... having problems with your downpipe and u-joints?

i hear he doesn't have a problem taking down pipe after a few joints......

None at all, I just crawled underneath it to check.

The annoying part was all the cobwebs I had to clear out between the concrete and the underside fo the Jeep.

So is this how I get my post count into 4-5 digit range, resurect a six year old thread to ask a question so myself and another post feind can continue our post count supremecy?

Wait, wait, answer this question in 2016.

Actually I broke into the 5 digit post count answering questions in mod tech.

Resurrecting a string of 7 year old threads was a fun way to jab at one of Naxja's long running volunteers. GSequioa has coordinated several of our events, run sponsorship, run a lot of local programs, and been a moderator .. for as long as I have been around - and I consider him a very good friend.

If you were to really look, you'd find the threads I brought up were his FIRST threads, from when he joined, .. the age was and is irrelivant.

ohsnap.jpg

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I-CAN'T-PHOTOSHOP-SO-I'LL-TAKE-DIGIPIC-OF-HAND-DRAWN-SIGN

OH-SNAP

Wow. Grimmjeeper is working on his masters or PHD or such in graphic design.. he photoshops like 15 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I'm not even going to waste a snap. :/

I just think it's funny people are getting their panties all in a twist over someone resurrecting old threads. Who the hell cares? No one is forcing them to read an old resurrected thread. Is there some freakin' NAXJA by-law that says you can't pull up a 7 yr old thread? Relax people. :D

If you were to really look, you'd find the threads I brought up were his FIRST threads, from when he joined, .. the age was and is irrelivant.

Actually Cal I'd already been around a few years at the point of these threads, NAXJA changed to vBulletin around early 2003 if I recall, I first found it in late 1999. This was, however, about the time I finally had the funds to go red.

*snap*

Back