• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift installed....after a week vibes surfacing

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay background time....90XJ 4.0 AW4 NP231 RE 3.5" Superflex Lift. I got the lift installed about a week back. For the past week I have been very happy and I continue to be fairly happy with it. I've got a slight problem now though. When I hover my foot around the gas pedal(as in just slightly touching it or right after letting off) I get this loud GRRRRRRRRR sound. And also as I pick up to speed on the freeway theres a loud like whirrrr whirrr whirrr that gets faster with the speed. Can anyone point me in the right direction here. I know a transfer case drop may help me out but it sounds like a problem that has always been there and has now just been eccentuated(sp?). If it matters, before it was lifted it did a "thunk" noise when I let off the gas. I dunno are we thinking U-Joints maybe? Oh it feels like the vibe and noise is right underneath my feet too, which is front ds area IIRC? Any help from the lift/vibe gurus would be great.
Thanks guys,
Collin

I think id start with the ujoints and go from there. Added driveline angle may have made a bad ujoint show up.

bowhunter said:
I think id start with the ujoints and go from there. Added driveline angle may have made a bad ujoint show up.

got to go with this as a first idea. You u-joints will actually wear in a pattern and after "x" amount of miles don't like change.

I get the GGRRRRR sound when I need to brake...and am addressing this problem on satuday.

That and a water pump and other little crap.

red91inWA said:
got to go with this as a first idea. You u-joints will actually wear in a pattern and after "x" amount of miles don't like change.

I get the GGRRRRR sound when I need to brake...and am addressing this problem on satuday.

That and a water pump and other little crap.

Thanks to both of ye.:cheers: I'll check those u-joints out before doing anything else. Any other ideas as to where else to look if those prove not to be it?

Forgot to add: There is also an intermittent GRRRR(same noise as above) when I'm braking and it intensifies a lot when in 4WD.

Its your driveshaft angle. Every vehicle I have ever lifted did the same thing. It's always the rear driveshaft. The GRRRR is between power and coasting where you have just let off the pedal right??? Either Your angles are a little different front U joint to back U joint / your angle is too steep in the front U joint, or your shaft ears are making contact with the shaft at the front u joint of the rearshaft.

On the XJ... mine did the GRRR for about 3 weeks then it went away. The lift sagged enough to fix the angles. After a couple of weeks, or when driving with a full tank and a heavy load, see if it improves.

Thanks Harvo, yeah it's been on for just over a week. I figured it would only get better because it would sag a little but I haven't really loaded the back end down to put any weight on the leafs. Maybe I will load it up with something heavy this weekend to see if I can get em to start sagging. Thanks for the tip.
-Collin

CollinM said:
Okay background time....90XJ 4.0 AW4 NP231 RE 3.5" Superflex Lift. I got the lift installed about a week back. For the past week I have been very happy and I continue to be fairly happy with it. I've got a slight problem now though. When I hover my foot around the gas pedal(as in just slightly touching it or right after letting off) I get this loud GRRRRRRRRR sound. And also as I pick up to speed on the freeway theres a loud like whirrrr whirrr whirrr that gets faster with the speed. Can anyone point me in the right direction here. I know a transfer case drop may help me out but it sounds like a problem that has always been there and has now just been eccentuated(sp?). If it matters, before it was lifted it did a "thunk" noise when I let off the gas. I dunno are we thinking U-Joints maybe? Oh it feels like the vibe and noise is right underneath my feet too, which is front ds area IIRC? Any help from the lift/vibe gurus would be great.
Thanks guys,
Collin

Well it is easy and simple... Check every bolt that was loosened or removed during the lift install. It is quick simple and does not cost anything. You many not find anything loose but it does not hurt to check.

Check everything from lug nuts to control arm bolts to U-bolts .

Odds are it is a u-joint but check the simple stuff first and often.

SYE and cv driveshaft time maybe?

Here's a thought, what kinda tires are you running. I work at CB Jeep in Texas and we have a lot of customers complain about noise after we install a 4.5 lift.
Nine times out of ten its the A/T tires. The other one time is usually that hard core offroader and it the sliop yoke vibrating. Just something to think about.

ZachMan said:
SYE and cv driveshaft time maybe?

I really hope not. Transfercase drop if anything I would think. It's really not vibes all the time at all, it's just very mild vibes with this damn noise.

Jeremycj7 said:
Here's a thought, what kinda tires are you running. I work at CB Jeep in Texas and we have a lot of customers complain about noise after we install a 4.5 lift.
Nine times out of ten its the A/T tires. The other one time is usually that hard core offroader and it the sliop yoke vibrating. Just something to think about.

I run Dayton Timberline P235/75 R15s. I would hardly call them all terrain.I'm not a hardcore offroader(actually haven't taken the Jeep offroad once since the lift got on, and probably won't) but it may be the slip yoke I guess.

Any other suggestions? I'm probably going to have to wait til the weekend to check stuff out so I'm just gathering a list of stuff to check.
Thanks again everyone.

Welll judging from the fact that I do have some vibes, it's sounding like I'm probably gonna need a T-Case drop eh, probably? Otherwise whatever I replace is just gonna get worn down again right?

CollinM said:
Welll judging from the fact that I do have some vibes, it's sounding like I'm probably gonna need a T-Case drop eh, probably? Otherwise whatever I replace is just gonna get worn down again right?

yeah, just go ahead and get an RE hack and Tap SYE, just cause you don't have bad vibes does not mean you don't need one.

bholt5035 said:
if i have no vibes the why use a sye?

A. you ds can fall out when flexing.

B. if A. happens your gonna loose your fluid.

C. its a stronger setup than stock, even a hack and tap.

D. Just cause you can't feel the vibes doesn't mean they are not there, I've seen a few split cases from wear and tear from not running an SYE.

E. You can run your Jeep in front wheel drive if you mess up your rear driveshaft wheeling. Just remove the rear shaft put the Jeep in 4hi and go, read A. and B. for why you can't without an SYE.

F. I am sure there are more good reasons.

ZachMan said:
A. your ds can fall out when flexing.

B. if A. happens your gonna loose your fluid.

C. its a stronger setup than stock, even a hack and tap.

D. Just cause you can't feel the vibes doesn't mean they are not there, I've seen a few split cases from wear and tear from not running an SYE.

E. You can run your Jeep in front wheel drive if you mess up your rear driveshaft wheeling. Just remove the rear shaft put the Jeep in 4hi and go, read A. and B. for why you can't without an SYE.

F. I am sure there are more good reasons.

Alright well just to run a few things by you...and I am not an authority by any means. I won't be offroading, I did the lift just to have it sit higher and so I could run bigger tires so I don't need to worry about the DS falling out right? I know right now I have vibes but they don't like made the ride uncomfortable so I'm pretty sure they're minimal enough that a T-Case drop would easily take care of them. I'm sure there are a lot of good reasons for an SYE but to me it just doesn't seem like when a $15 drop would do the job I should spend what I just spent on the lift all over again on an SYE, especially when I won't be offroading. Correct me if I'm wrong, I really do appreciate the help and opinions from everyone.

CollinM said:
Alright well just to run a few things by you...and I am not an authority by any means. I won't be offroading, I did the lift just to have it sit higher and so I could run bigger tires so I don't need to worry about the DS falling out right? I know right now I have vibes but they don't like made the ride uncomfortable so I'm pretty sure they're minimal enough that a T-Case drop would easily take care of them. I'm sure there are a lot of good reasons for an SYE but to me it just doesn't seem like when a $15 drop would do the job I should spend what I just spent on the lift all over again on an SYE, especially when I won't be offroading. Correct me if I'm wrong, I really do appreciate the help and opinions from everyone.

put in the lift just for looks FREAK!

I didn't have an SYE when I broke my tailshaft off. I cut a 20oz coke bottle in half and taped it in place to keep the fluid from coming out and drove 80 miles in front wheel drive.

Not saying a SYE isn't a good Idea, but you can get out of the woods broken without one.

warwagon98xj said:
put in the lift just for looks FREAK!

Haha thats me. I'm not hooked up quite right.

Back