• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$173 for an alternator?

SonomaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Blew mine out after some mud holes, Pep Boys wants $160 and Napa wants $173 for a new stock alternator. WTF? I thought they were less than half that?

I've got a buddy "who's friend is a manager at some place that can get deals", but we all know how that goes.

Any online sources that are cheap? I've heard eBay but I need this sooner than later and don't want to wait for auction to end.

BTW this is in Northern California if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

P.S. 1995 XJ 4.0 Auto w/AC

Try here-www.discountjeepparts.com $125 plus shipping.Your price doesn,t sound too bad.
Wayne

i know the reman for my 92 was 108.88 with exchange + 20% discount with a lifetime replacement at advance. it's held up through quite a few blasts through the mud so far. what year is yours? i know the alternators for the newer xj's are crazy expensive ($200+ for a 00').

edit: the same alt i got will work for your 95. 108.88 with exchange ($75 core) @ advance. lifetime replacement.

Wayne, that's my best bet so far I guess.

geekstar, that's a great deal, but Advance isn't on the west coast.

langer1, what kind of turn around time would I expect for something like that?

Kragen wants $145 which is getting closer.

You can get one from RockAuto.com for as low as $107. I agree w/ Langer...take it an auto. elec. shop., can guarantee it will be cheaper and a better job. I can get most of the parts for my "90 alt for under $40, a shop should be able to get yours at a fair price too.

if oyu have to buy one retail go with NAPA way better then pepboys

San Jose is a bit of a drive for me. But there's a lot of good info there that I will look into when I have more time/money.

red91, you have a PM.

If I go with any of the store bought one's I've found, it's gonna be the non-gold duralast Autozone one. Thanks for the help, kg4bet.

Autozoo Pepboys and Advance all use a company called UNIT PARTS (UPC) they buy their alternators with NO WARRANTY for dimes on a dollar. They bank on the fact that you will have no failures and self insure the alternators. I was told a Delco CS was bought at 10 bucks by Discount Auto Parts (now advance) Take one of their remans apart and there is junk inside. Napa CS alternators have GM/Delco/Delphi regulators in them and name brand bearings...

DO NOT BUY a UPC alternator... all it gurantees is a lifetime of replacement

Go with either a NAPA or better a local reman shop 5-90s guy sounds good I might use him for my next alternator

Don't forget the junkyard. I got a 2001 JEEP factory alternator with 38,000 miles on it, 120 day warranty, for $47.50. Other Jeep and Dodge trucks use the same (part number) alternator.

SonomaXJ said:
San Jose is a bit of a drive for me. But there's a lot of good info there that I will look into when I have more time/money.

red91, you have a PM.

If I go with any of the store bought one's I've found, it's gonna be the non-gold duralast Autozone one. Thanks for the help, kg4bet.
Might give him a call anyway. He may be able to recommend a shop local to you. JIM.

Whatever you do, don't buy an Autozone lifetime warranty rebuilt alternator. They are total crap. Who cares if it has a lifetime warranty if you are replacing it all the time. I went through way too many of those in the past.

On that note, don't buy a rebuilt or refurbished one, buy a new one and make sure its a reputable brand. There are so many POS alternators on the market.

I also agree that having a shop rebuild it is a good option as well.

Back