• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front End Clunk

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
I have a 98 XJ 4.0 Auto with about 4.5" lift, aadj. Track bar, and swaybar qd's. Ive been noticing a vibration in the front end for the past month, but couldn't track it down. This morning when I left for work it made a clunk when I backed out, and ever since it's making a clunk whenever I go past the center point of my turning radius. Does it sound like an aftereffect or malfunction of the parts ive added, or is there any likely culprit I should be checkiing for before I go lie down in the snow and take a look at what's going on? I won't be able to get it off the ground till after work, but Ill be able to tinker a bit on my lunch break, or get a part if its something pretty obvious to those more experienced than I.
Thanks

Hmm I wouldn't have thought to check that, could that cause a vibe as well? Ill drive home with it dc'd and see how it feels...

i dont see how it would have a vibration to it. but im getting vibes but im pretty sure its from an unbalanced tire. or uneavanly worn tire.

What kind of lift? My Rusty's helped develop this by blowing the bushings out of the LCAs so they were just doing their own thing. Everytime I backed and full locked I got that pop. Also I had a u joint in the axle that was bad as well as the DS hub assy. Yeah when it rains it pours. Since then I have replaced the u joint, hub and chucked my frickin Rusty's LCAs in the trash (I wouldn't even try to sell them to my enemy they suck so bad). It has gotten rid of all of that.

It's a rustys trac-bar, and the clunk was coming from the end that mounts to the frame. The joint is goin, its worn enough to cause a clunk whenever the axle shifts from left to right or back again. Fortunately its a tie rod end from a TJ on there, according to the site. Hopefully it's a stock one, I think it is. I got the Jeep replacement part # from Rustys site and the garage is ordering one even as I type this.
Ryan

Back